How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Speed Sensor / Governor (sp?) BYPASS

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by LTSCUDRFT

EDIT: it also depends on if you were going down hill or not, because if you were going down hill you car would go faster with less effort. hence your speed of 113~115mph at 4600rpm.
read it couple of times.. maybe you will finally get it. thats total bs.
in previous replies you were tellin me that its about 107 miles @ 4600rpms. and then you said " well maybe it was a downhill, and your car was traveling faster than on straight road, and thats how you got about 114mph at @ 4600" thats exactly what your story is... well let me tell you what, you are wrong.

in your world...

if car is going downhill, it will go 113 ~115mph @ 4600rpms
if car is going uphill, it will eventually travel slower @ 4600rpms

thats exactly what you ment in the above quote. if you ment something else... i am sorry but you will have to rephrase that.

in my world...
if car is going downhill, it will go 113 ~115mph @ 4600rpms
if car is going uphill, it will go 113~115mph @ 4600rpms. (it will get to 4600rpms a lot slower, of course)

and HELLLLOOOO, i wasnt born today, i know whats dowhill, and whats uphill and the effect of that on car acceleration.

2nd.
its none of your business how and when i crashed my car

3rd.
actually i bought myself another 240.

________
PUTTING ALL THIS IS COUPLE WORDS:
we are speakin of two different speeds (107mph and 114mph) at the same RPMS (4600) - you said that on downhill i will probably have 114, and on straight 107. YOU CANT HAVE 2 DIFFERENT SPEED FOR THE SAME RPMS. thas what i am trying to prove to you for couple of days now... damn.

Last edited by DRiften; 11-19-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by cougar10ag
more info on cutting the wire on the ECU?? i've been readin a FAQ and they said this works perfectly. but i'm guessing the rpm limiter is still in effect.
hmm. never tried that. you mean it eliminates the governor ? sweet.

well to get rid of the 5th gear rev limiter, go back to first page and read the step by step instruction. its really easy.

would you know by any chance which wire is responsible for the governor in the main ecu?

aiit holla.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:01 PM

hmm it seems on 91+ s13's you can cut the yellow/green stripe wire on the ecu harness and thats all you gotta do. cuz it seems everyone with an 89 or 90 that only cuts that wire has an 85mph rev limiter since 4th and 5th gear each ahve their own speed sensor. i guess we gotta unclip those.

try just cutting the wire and cruise above 85mph in 4th or 5th gear
Old 11-20-2004, 11:34 PM

DRiften what kind of LSD do you have? and if you know what is the final drive?
Old 11-21-2004, 01:58 PM

well... i had the stock Vicious LSD (VLSD)... it came on all s13's with HICAS Package.
and i got no clue whats my final drive.. i guess the same as all s13's . i dont know..lol
Old 11-21-2004, 10:13 PM

Okay, the reason i asked is because if you had an LSD out of a 300zx or a j30 i figured that the final drive would most likely be different (longer) from an s13 so i thought that that would account for you speed of 115mph at 4600rpm, but ohwell you never know the hicas models might ave a different final drive... that would explain your high speed at such low rpm, compared to what it's "supposed to be". I can't figure out why there is such a difference between the speeds that we calculated, other than that, but oh well. No biggie.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by DRiften

1st.
i never knew its possible to put an ecu from an auto to control the manual one. hmm. but if you did it, thats awesome. nice trick.
I never noticed this till now; When I got my car from the junkyard it was an auto and my coupe was a stick so I kinda had to swap them because I told them to take the trans out since I didn't need it, and the motor was all torn appart witch kinda sucked; I woulda liked to have a spare. And the auto ECU would work on any s13 all it does for the trans is controll the shift points, so if you have a standard w/ an auto ECU it'll just send signals to wires that you don't have. lol And when you have an auto that you change to a standard it'll just think it's in park, unless you bypass the neutral saftey switch,
Old 12-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

i have a q? where did you fund the hole through the fire wall ?

i havent looked yet i just want to know so i can get it done faster

thanks keeo up on the custom mods lol
Old 12-09-2004, 10:10 AM

I found some holes in diferent places, If you want one near the trany you can drill the soft part that covers the shifter and make hole, there's some extra space there. In the firewall there are a few if you know were to look. Some of the air conditioner hoses run trough it and they are sealed with a rubber thingy that you can puncture and pass some wires, and there are plenty of hoses. My car is automatic and were the clutch assembly is suposed to be there's thin metal cap covering a 2 inch hole, you can dril trough this in 4 sec. And last there's the compartment by the engine side were all the cables for the CPU run trough on the passenger side, by the cruise control module. You can run wires trough there, but good luck with that, and try not to mess up the engine wires, cuz then you're in big dokie
Old 12-09-2004, 04:44 PM

word.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

If you want one near the trany you can drill the soft part that covers the shifter and make hole

haha i never thought about that...

thatnks alot this should be done tomarrow
Old 12-11-2004, 10:39 PM

i have a 91 se coupe with an auto tranny, and i have yet to hit the speed limiter so far i got it up to 133 at just a little over 5200 rpms, the car is bone stock so i dont want to go any faster until i upgrade the suspension and some other things. I have seen on the forum that other 91 240's hit limiters, any idea why mine doesn't?
Old 12-11-2004, 11:11 PM

:1991 240s with auto tranny didnt come with the speed limiter.
although
:1992 - 1994 with auto tranny came with speed governor ( ~ 117mph)

:1991 - 1994 240s with manual tranny come with 2 limiters. the speed governor itself ( top speed 118mph), and 5th gear RPMs limiter (which didnt allow the engine to go past the 5000 rpms line in 5th gear ~ about 135mph )
Old 12-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Contributing Member

all i can say is wow that was so much fun :-D
Old 12-13-2004, 03:35 AM

what happens when you are driving and you deactivate the speed sensor to go past 118mph, drive well over 118mpg, then reactivate the speed sensor?
will the car just automatically slow down to 118mph? has anyone tried this?

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor / Governor (sp?) BYPASS