NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

car runs like poo, help me!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 07:17 AM

Unhappy car runs like poo, help me!!!!!!!!

I have a 91 with a used ka sohc with unknown miles. When I got the car I found out the gas gauge stopped at a quarter. I drove the car for six months with no problems and minor mods, exaust and cone filter, premium plugs and wires, regular oil changes and premium gas. The car started running horrible, bucking, coughing, could barely get 3000rpm out of it, and it was eating gas like a fat chick at Ponderossa I pulled the plugs and they look burned a bit, kind of brown. I haven't been able to start it in awhile, it barely turns over with a jump, so I can't check the MAF or anything. Im distrought, this is my baby and I can't drive it!! If I can't get it going Im dropping in a v8 with a six speed. It also has pressure coming from the valve cover with th cap off, ist that normal? Any help would be awsome
Old 09-13-2005, 07:53 AM

you didnt mention if it ran better when it was cold or warmed up, but perhaps a good place to check is the o2 sensor... i know they can cause lots of fuel consumption if they are bad, and they usually run like total crap when warmed up..... as for the hard starting and barley turning over, are these 2 seperate issues or did they happen at the same time? if they happened together and you have lots of pressur efrom the valve cover then you may have internal damage. which woudl cause you to use more gas to try and turn the motor, and the hard strating and the pressure from the valve cover..... Mine did that and it was because it lost oil pressure and they kept drivin. Gotta get a motor in mine soon i hope.......
Old 09-14-2005, 05:59 AM

the hard staring and turning over thing started at the same time, Im going to pull the engine anyways, I have some rust issues that need to be taken care of, so Im really looking at a V8 swap, those engines are sooooooooo easy to build and work on. Also, anyone know where to get replacement rocker panels?