NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

car stalls ....suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 04:26 PM

car stalls ....suggestions??

ok question... when i floor the accelerator from a dead stop the car stalls....any suggestion on what the problem might be??
Old 03-23-2005, 05:14 PM

Test your MAF and TPS. Dont floor the car from a dead stop by the way. 3/4 throttle the first second or two and then go WOT.

JMB
Old 03-23-2005, 05:16 PM

its an automatic if that matters.. why cant i go wot from dead stop?? and how do i test the maf let the car run and unplug?? (what should happen) also do i need a volmeter or some device to test the tps.. my idle stays nice and steaDY.. Its just when i go wot from a dead stop it stalls
Old 03-23-2005, 05:23 PM

if you put it in nuetral and rev it nad then throw it in drive does it stall or burn out and then rip like hell? also check your tranny fluid.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:25 PM

i dont really like to abuse my cars like that.. i just bough the car and been fixing it up .. just replace fuel injector and installed 300zx fuel filter the car idles and runs great but when i go wot it stalls..only form a dead stop..ill check the tranny fluid again but i think it was still in the ok..im thinking maybe its timming or a clogged air filter..just was hoping someone might ofd had same prblem..
Old 03-23-2005, 05:34 PM

replace the airfilter i say, if idle and all that jazz is fine id say the car chokes it self when you step on it
Old 03-23-2005, 05:35 PM

thats what i was thinking.. ima pull it off and see if its clogged tomorrow
Old 03-24-2005, 06:42 PM

When you press the pedal to the floor, the computer looks at the tps, maf/map, iat and sees a Y co-ordinant. It looks at the tach signal and sees an X co-ordinat. Using these co-ordinants it performs a lookup on a table in its read only memory. Based on the value it finds, it modulates the pulsewidth of the fuel injectors to add more fuel.

You have air comming in through the butterfly valve you opened with your foot, and the computer is adding a comensurate ammount of fuel. These two fluids mix in the intake to form the air fuel ratio, and the suction action of the pistons, working within the parameters of the valve motion, draws the mixture in.

As you know, this air-fuel mixture has a tremendous effect on the vehicles performance. For performance, ideal mixture is around 12.5 to 1 for all intents and purposes. For daily drivers we usually see 14.5 to 1. A richer mixture past 12.5 to 1 can be used to make a cooler mixture, and keep exhaust gas tempuratures down. However a mixture richer than 12.5 to 1 isnt buying us any performance, just protection.

Unless your vehicle has a very higly tunable computer(aka lots and lots of boxes on its lookup table to provide a fine granulation of fuel needs at specific load) and your highly tunable computer has been tweaked on a dyno by a skilled professional, your computer is generalizing to some degree. Going to WOT on launch with usually just blow excess fuel out the back of the car(even still, black smoke in this scenerio is happy smoke), and not buy you any performance.

Dont let the big boys at the track confuse you with thier launching strategies. Some people get confused by this. When you have a transbrake, and a multistage rev-limiter, you can lean on the gas all the way with the transbrake engaged, bring your rpms up to 6k and let it rip. Thats them, not us Generally speaking, you will not measure a significant gain launching at full throttle over 3/4 throttle. As soon as you launch, BY ALL MEANS HAMMER DOWN. Thats why I say, 3/4 the first second, WOT there after.

JMB
Old 03-27-2005, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by jbayles
When you press the pedal to the floor, the computer looks at the tps, maf/map, iat and sees a Y co-ordinant. It looks at the tach signal and sees an X co-ordinat. Using these co-ordinants it performs a lookup on a table in its read only memory. Based on the value it finds, it modulates the pulsewidth of the fuel injectors to add more fuel.

You have air comming in through the butterfly valve you opened with your foot, and the computer is adding a comensurate ammount of fuel. These two fluids mix in the intake to form the air fuel ratio, and the suction action of the pistons, working within the parameters of the valve motion, draws the mixture in.

As you know, this air-fuel mixture has a tremendous effect on the vehicles performance. For performance, ideal mixture is around 12.5 to 1 for all intents and purposes. For daily drivers we usually see 14.5 to 1. A richer mixture past 12.5 to 1 can be used to make a cooler mixture, and keep exhaust gas tempuratures down. However a mixture richer than 12.5 to 1 isnt buying us any performance, just protection.

Unless your vehicle has a very higly tunable computer(aka lots and lots of boxes on its lookup table to provide a fine granulation of fuel needs at specific load) and your highly tunable computer has been tweaked on a dyno by a skilled professional, your computer is generalizing to some degree. Going to WOT on launch with usually just blow excess fuel out the back of the car(even still, black smoke in this scenerio is happy smoke), and not buy you any performance.

Dont let the big boys at the track confuse you with thier launching strategies. Some people get confused by this. When you have a transbrake, and a multistage rev-limiter, you can lean on the gas all the way with the transbrake engaged, bring your rpms up to 6k and let it rip. Thats them, not us Generally speaking, you will not measure a significant gain launching at full throttle over 3/4 throttle. As soon as you launch, BY ALL MEANS HAMMER DOWN. Thats why I say, 3/4 the first second, WOT there after.

JMB
well i know what your saying , but i was just wondering why when i went wot from a dead stop it stalled..i appreciate you thoughts and everything but the problem has gone away .. i dont really race the car so i dont need to launch it .i just am used to a car (with autostick aka automatic) you go wot and it drives not stalls so i was wondering if something was wrong....the car runs great now and even did a good job in the parking lot the other day (first time actually puttin the car to use :P) but thanks for the suggestions