NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

EGR temp sensor testing.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:49 AM

EGR temp sensor testing.

It seems that my EGR temp sensor is bad. I have a few others laying around and I want to make sure that I test it correctly. First I am assuming that I need to boil water at 212*F then I need to set the selector on the tester to 200K Ohms. I should get a reading of 85.3k Ohms... Is this the correct method to check the temp sensor. Or am I just better off buying a new one? What changes am I looking for in Ohms when the temperature changes or drops?
@ 215*F the Ohm tester reads at about 84.2k Ohms, I'm looking for 85.3k Ohms

Last edited by BigVinnie; 10-12-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

ikd about the temp sensor because i believe it's only on california series engines. but like many electrical components the temp sensor should either work or not. so if you're getting a reading i'd say it works.

but beyond that i think that if you check for continuity when the temp is below the sensors operating temp there shouldn't be a reading. i'm just guessing based on my experiences with electronics tho.

btw why do you suspect the sensor faulty?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!

btw why do you suspect the sensor faulty?
Code 32
EGR, BPT, EGR temp sensor,Ignition switch.

I replaced my egr over 2 years ago when the same code came up. I tested the BPT and it was fine. When ever I would raise the EGT with advanced timing my check engine light wouldn't go on. So more than just an assumption the EGR TEMP sensor was giving faulty readings.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
I should get a reading of 85.3k Ohms... Is this the correct method to check the temp sensor. Or am I just better off buying a new one? What changes am I looking for in Ohms when the temperature changes or drops?
@ 215*F the Ohm tester reads at about 84.2k Ohms, I'm looking for 85.3k Ohms

At 212 *F you should get a reading of 8.53 K-ohms. you stated that at 215 *F the reading was 8.42 K-ohms, thats a good reading because the ohms will drop the hotter it gets. So the egr temp sensor you were checking is good.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by dkdeleon
At 212 *F you should get a reading of 8.53 K-ohms. you stated that at 215 *F the reading was 8.42 K-ohms, thats a good reading because the ohms will drop the hotter it gets. So the egr temp sensor you were checking is good.

Wait a minute your stating the decimal point in another place.
So you mean that I can test @ 200KOhms, or @ 20kOhms on the tester to get that reading.... Am I right? Your confusing me with the decimal point placement, and in the FSM it also indicates it can be 85.3kOhms and/or 8.35kOhms.
I went through another temp sensor off of another manifold and it read 85.3k Ohms right on the dot at 212*F. The one that I pulled from my manifold would only get an indication no higher than 74.9 @ 212*F.
Check out my easy invention that I made so that I wouldn't have to open up the manifold to replace the EGR temp sensor.

Pay no attention to the test manifold that I tried this on. I had to buy a flex elbow to add some pivot because in reality the gas lines run right down the middle of those runners. But it works and it saved me time and money from having to take off the lower manifold.
Name:  EGRtempsensorratchet001.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  20.1 KB
Name:  EGRtempsensorratchet002.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  57.1 KB
Name:  EGRtempsensorratchet003.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  37.2 KB
Old 10-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

If the reading from the one you pulled from your manifold was at 74.9 @ 212*F it is definitely bad. Props on the invention I like it, it reminds me of an o2 sensor removal socket with the opening on the side for the wire.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:16 PM

Well heres my dilemma now. I passed a smog pretest with good remarks. My friend Tony has a smog station that he works at, but it isn't a test only center. This test won't pass by the state of California's standards. Reason being is that in California you can only go to a smog testing only center and in doing the visual inspection I don't pass because of my DC sports header. How much does that suck when you see good results like this...Now I have to continue to look for a shop that will visually say I'm O.K.. Lifes a bit*h and then you die.
Name:  EGRtempsensorratchet005.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  51.8 KB
Old 10-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Contributing Member

So they will fail you just on a visual even if the test said you past? I guess there is some way that you can release toxins in the air just buy looking at a set of headers. LOL thats is ***'n bull shiiitttt. I hope you find some one to pass you.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by dkdeleon
So they will fail you just on a visual even if the test said you past? I guess there is some way that you can release toxins in the air just buy looking at a set of headers. LOL thats is ***'n bull shiiitttt. I hope you find some one to pass you.
Well it does seem that DC sports does have the CARB EO for the 91-94 240sx header. I had to give DC sports a copy of my receipt to get the exemption stickers, I just faxed them a copy of my receipt. Hopefully I will see it in the mail in the next week, so my smog can be legal.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

ok so dc did finally come though with they're exempt status?

also i've read that as long as your car can pass a smog check you can get an exemption sticker from the dot. this most likely will vary from state to state, but do you know if there is any truth to this in cali at least.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
ok so dc did finally come though with they're exempt status?

also i've read that as long as your car can pass a smog check you can get an exemption sticker from the dot. this most likely will vary from state to state, but do you know if there is any truth to this in cali at least.

I believe the header is in fact exempt, I won't know for sure until Tesday, but they have a customer service fax number to geth the exemptions for the stickers.
www.dcsports.com/Faqs.aspx?FaqCategoryID=31#138

If I wanted to I can pay a state ref to legalize a header and get my exemption status but then I think we would be talking something like $1000.00 for a $200.00 header.