How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Egr Temp Sensor Bypass For $1.00

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:58 PM

Egr Temp Sensor Bypass For $1.00

The 100k ohm/.25 watt resistor trick for KAD/E

I've been throwing code 32 for a long *** time now, and I've finally gotten tired of running in limp mode, pig rich, bad gas mileage, and silly power. I read a few places about the EGR temp sensor bypass using a resistor, but I couldn't find a DIY anywhere for the SOHC. I'll spell it out for the DOHC guys too, as it only differs slightly with location of the sensor. Here you go!

This is a great, sneaky, way to get rid of the much-hated code 32, and never have to deal with the EGR temp sensor ever again. My ECU is now code free, and happy.

Items needed:
1 100k ohm/.25 watt resistor (5 pack from Radio Shack $.99)
Pliers
Cutting Utensil
Electric Tape

Time est:
10 minutes

Procedure:
Step One:
Get resistor(s).
Name:  EGRTrick002.jpg
Views: 2023
Size:  35.3 KB

Step Two:
Find the EGR temp sensor (both S13/S14 located between runners 2 and 3)
Name:  EGRTrick004.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  38.7 KB

Step Three:
Find plug for EGR temp sensor (passenger side, to the rear of the oil filter for SOHC/ between upper and lower intake for DOHC)
Name:  EGRTrick008.jpg
Views: 2142
Size:  47.0 KB

Step Four:
Unplug and Snip (you can cut anywhere, I chose the side that goes to the sensor)
Name:  EGRTrick009.jpg
Views: 3174
Size:  46.8 KB

Step Five:
Gather these items (pliers, electric tape, sensor plug, and resistor)
Name:  EGRTrick010.jpg
Views: 2007
Size:  37.2 KB

Step Six:
Wire in the resistor (strip the wires from the plug, cut off the excess poles of the resistor, and twist with pliers)
Name:  EGRTrick013.jpg
Views: 2388
Size:  28.6 KB

Step Seven:
Tape it up
Name:  EGRTrick014.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  37.0 KB

Step Eight:
Reinstall the plug, and tape the old wire to the new resistored loop (this way the smog people's will never know)
Old 11-09-2007, 08:08 AM

has anyone else done this? so..., and please correct me if i'm wrong, the point of the resistor is to trick the EGR into thinking everything's kosher?

**off to read up on EGR temp sensors!**
Old 11-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Great write up. I know it's kind of a newb type question but does the code 32 show up when disconnecting the EGR pipe from the header that runs behind the engine or the one that runs to the vacuum canister? I would assume the one that runs behind the engine correct? Also, could or has this been done to the vacuum sensor for the other EGR pipe to fool the ECU as well?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by k_wakasugi
has anyone else done this? so..., and please correct me if i'm wrong, the point of the resistor is to trick the EGR into thinking everything's kosher?

**off to read up on EGR temp sensors!**
i haven't done it because i don't have a california series ecu. but the resister fools the ecu by giving it the reading it should be getting from the egr temp sensor. so in essence the resister becomes the temp sensor.

btw you misused the word kosher, unless you're jewish then it's my understanding you can use it at any time for any reason.

Originally Posted by eroc263
Great write up. I know it's kind of a newb type question but does the code 32 show up when disconnecting the EGR pipe from the header that runs behind the engine or the one that runs to the vacuum canister? I would assume the one that runs behind the engine correct? Also, could or has this been done to the vacuum sensor for the other EGR pipe to fool the ECU as well?

code 32 can be related to a few other things but yes, removing or tampering with the egr will give you that code.

i'm assuming you're talking about the vacuum solenoids, to which i'd have to say no. the solenoids and sensors serve two different purposes.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:45 AM

being as I'm not jewish, my sincerest apologies to you jramosthe1st!, as well as anyone who may have been offended by my misuse of the word kosher.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

i'm not jewish nor was i offended, just pointing out something that was brought to my attention as well.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:47 PM

gotcha. well, to get back on topic, i wired in the resistor and the check engine light no longer rears it's ugly head . took less then 5 minutes, and cost 99 cents for a 5-pack from radio shack just as Tedzy said. thanks for the write-up !
Old 11-13-2007, 10:30 AM

huhhh....makes me wonder.... since i did block off my EGR with the Ebay block off plate...would it work to do this to my car aswell...so i dont throw code?...couldnt figure witch connector it was...
Old 11-28-2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by k_wakasugi
gotcha. well, to get back on topic, i wired in the resistor and the check engine light no longer rears it's ugly head . took less then 5 minutes, and cost 99 cents for a 5-pack from radio shack just as Tedzy said. thanks for the write-up !
Right on. =]

Like jramosthe1st! said only California ECU's will throw the code 32 due to the EGR temp sensor. If your car was not sold in California you've probably got a Fed ECU (which will throw code 32, but not for the temp sensor. California smog laws are doodoo.

@ Dalaz_68, with the above in mind, you may not have to worry about it. If you stay awake at night wondering when your sensor will collapse dead inexplicably, then what's $.99 for a little preemptive protection from throwing the code due to the sensor malfunctioning? If you are throwing the code due to a bad sensor, then it is A) more reliable than replacing the sensor, B) cheaper than buying a Fed ECU (which I had suggested to me when code 32 first popped up to me, crazy), and C) ftw.

Last edited by Tedzy; 11-28-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM

Additional EGR sensor?

Hi,

I am new to the 240 game. I just got a '89 240sx XE coupe. Some of the engine wiring is a bit of a mess. I followed your instructions because I too am having a 32 error code problem. When doing so I noticed that I seem to have a second EGR temp sensor which was shadely spliced to the same connector as your instructions??? It is located at the base of the EGR valve just between the EGR valve and the intake manifold. I consulted the internet and managed to get a hold of a 93-94 FSM, but as far as I can tell my second sensor was not in that model. I looked around on the engine and in the engine bay the best I can, but am unable to find a connector for this second sensor. Any advise/information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!