NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

hot cam swap is awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

would the raise in emissions be less severe on a s13 ka than a s14 ka?
Old 11-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

interesting, i thought that the altima (other ka's) "hot cam" was under a lot of mixed thoughts of whether it was the same as the s13's or not? or has this been proven now?
Old 11-06-2006, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by re037
would the raise in emissions be less severe on a s13 ka than a s14 ka?
I can't answer that one for you. I still run a 240/248 on my OBD1 I have seen no need to change unless upgrading to something better like Brian crower cams. Although I don't believe it will work to well for OBD1 either since the main concern is overlap and duration placement.
It is something that should be checked out though.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-06-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

i just finished putting my exhaust cam in. i noticed the torque loss but ive gained top end. it sounds so good, ecpesiously when you shift, more of a louder deeper growl. it kind of idles a little lower now tho, any of this happen to you guys? it never dies on me but if ive been driving it for a while it will idle at about 500 then jump back up and down.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:46 PM

one second it sounds so easy to change out cams and at the same time it sounds like it can get really freakin technical and become a headache. i think im gonna hold off for a lil while till i read more.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

it is really easy, its just if u dont really know what ur doing then it can be really easy to mess up as well..
Old 11-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member

^ good advice. i'm kinda in the same boat as this guy. i know a lot about auto paint and body (my major) but not much about tech.... and it seems pretty complicated, but i guess if i could figure out wiring for almost anything... then i could do this type of stuff. i just don't know about lunch break like some guy said earlier in this thread. it has to take longer than that.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Contributing Member

it can, if i had all of the tools ready it would take me 30min max...but then again ive done it before..
Old 11-07-2006, 05:42 PM

Mark placement of timing chain and cam gear teeth. I don't know how much harder that could be...
Old 11-07-2006, 10:28 PM

ive taken out the cams before on a ka24de, but never put them back in. and sometimes we must all remember that this forum is a place where masters and dumies alike meet. what is simple to one man, is crazy hard to another. i love my car like everyone else and dont want to mess it up so i want specific instructions before i attempt a mod like this. call me silly if u must.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:06 AM

I just did the cam swap, i dont really feel a difference, but maybye just cause its my only mod.

It used to run like crap after 5K rpm but now it does pull better. it also revs a lot faster. I know a cat back would help.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:30 PM

It is still a tiny upgrade, hard to see the difference on N/A. Still is cheap and give a little bit more juice to the KA !
Old 12-13-2006, 04:04 PM

I am curious about this mod after I get my car fixed, but I don't seem to understand some stuff.

1. Are the hot cam swaps better then say a JWT cam? Do you get better HP/TQ, or is it just cheaper but close to what a name brand cam would would give you in terms of performance?

2. Which hot cam swap comes out being smog legal? (I live in NY) The 91 240 exaust or altima?

3. Does anyone have any dyno sheets that compare hot cams swaps to stock or other aftermarket cams?

I really use my car as a daily driver, and modding it is fun, but having a really bad idle with a great top end or something is not what I want.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by MasterOSkillio
I am curious about this mod after I get my car fixed, but I don't seem to understand some stuff.

1. Are the hot cam swaps better then say a JWT cam? Do you get better HP/TQ, or is it just cheaper but close to what a name brand cam would would give you in terms of performance?

2. Which hot cam swap comes out being smog legal? (I live in NY) The 91 240 exaust or altima?

3. Does anyone have any dyno sheets that compare hot cams swaps to stock or other aftermarket cams?

I really use my car as a daily driver, and modding it is fun, but having a really bad idle with a great top end or something is not what I want.
1. They are OEM cams, less agressive then JWT. You get a small HP/TQ gain.

2. Not sure about smog legal, I don't thing it would really change anything. Any 91-94 240sx cams(240intake side, 248exhaust side) I have the 248intake & 248exhaust setup.

3. Got a dyno chart somewhere on my PC.

My idle did not changed at all, it is stable as it was before. I combined cams + intake(cai injen) + headers(hotshot) + pulley(unorthodox) + exhaust (5zigen Fireball). I am pleased with what I have but turbo ka is on it's way so...
Old 12-13-2006, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by redpotatoes

3. Got a dyno chart somewhere on my PC.

please post this when you get the chance.

Is your car a daily driver? or do you just track it? I am also assuming you used the exaust cams because they are more agressive?

Quick Reply: hot cam swap is awesome!