NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

MAFS Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

superchargers are not as straight forward as you think, to install or worth the power... you cant build a supercharger kit, you have to spend over 2k for HP thats simply not worth it to me. forced induction is forced induction. you still need extra fuel and a decent tune using some kinda EMS or piggyback. also who makes a kit other than vortech or jackson

on the maf you just use a coupler bro

Filter-adapter-coupler-maf-coupler-pipe

i also would like to see charts of this dyno.. filters.................. i don't know man. 14bhp.. you also need to know what supporting mods the car had, im pretty sure its not some regular KA.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 03-22-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

i didn't say they were worth it, the only real modification within the engine bay is adapting it to your runners. tuning wise you'll need the same amount of work as a turbo.

some will argue that a turbo is better because it is more efficient while those who chose to use a supercharger will point out the fact that the supercharger is always "on".

there are other arguments that have been made for one or the other. i for one still think na the best.

the point i wanted to make was that a supercharger like the knight sc is a rather clean install compared to some pieced together turbo set ups i've seen not which i more cost effective or produces more power.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 03-22-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
never mind then.

but if i were to boost my car i'd go with a super charger only because of the fact that it can be done with less modifications than a turbo.
you can get more out of an n/a setup than you can with a supercharged ka.
most of the supercharged ka dynos ive seen made between 160 and 170hp and similar tq around 6-8psi... and that's on a dynojet

but enough off topic. basically you can't just swap mafs and expect the motor to run with the correct air/fuel mixture. the diameter of the maf tube and mafs return voltage to the ecu will vary the air/fuel mixture under different loads. get some extra couplers and clamps and try to rig something up.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:42 AM

lol the off topic conversation wasn't bad but yes back to my question, so it looks like it would be smarter to rig something, after looking at both mafs it just sounds smarter to rig something up (never thought i'd say that) becuase just looking at both, the s13 maf is a bigger opening anyway which in turn with the filter should allow LOTS of air.....so again thanks for everyones input on the topic, definitely helped alot and biggamehit, i still wouldn't mind checking out that adapter
Old 03-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

yeah you'll have to do some creative wiring. i don't know what you'll need since i don't know what the s14 wiring is like. but if a z32 maf can be wired to a s13 then it can be done. i'd post a link to where you can see what that requires but links get censored out for some reason.

by the way sorry i got off topic.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
yeah you'll have to do some creative wiring. i don't know what you'll need since i don't know what the s14 wiring is like. but if a z32 maf can be wired to a s13 then it can be done. i'd post a link to where you can see what that requires but links get censored out for some reason.

by the way sorry i got off topic.
well if possible can u pm the link...or to get around it put a space between each letter and then at the end space the com (ie, y a h o o com) thats y i think i can rewire the mafs' i mean both are 3 prong plugs, 91-98 all had KA24DE's,(even if the engines between the 2 chassis are different, the 95 KA works with the s13 Harness therefore im sure there are similarites that should allow it, y wouldn't it be possible, y wouldn't it recalibrate for the new maf...idk if i get lazy and dont feel like risking it all i'll just make and adapter

and by the way i could careless about being off topic, questions have to be answered some how

Last edited by Gronde240; 03-23-2007 at 03:15 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-23-2007, 03:49 PM

here are 2 links that i found that state that it could be possible to rewire a s14 pigtail onto a s13 harness and use a s14 maf (this one is about putting a 95 KA into s13 "which is what i have" and this one is someone with a similar problem S13/S14 MAF Question
Old 03-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

all you have to do is get both car manuals look up maf wiring schematic and match.. the extra wire is an additional ground that you will ground to the chassis.

after i get out of uniform, ill go down and get the adapter. sorry bro had a long Air Force day.

by the time you read this ill probably already have the wiring for you if i have time to do it tonight
Old 03-23-2007, 04:29 PM

no prob man got 2 bros in the navy so i know how the service can have an effect on ur energy
Old 03-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

LOL dude i been tired since i enlisted. but it def has its Pros. actually alot more than Cons...

hey i got the pictures... it even includes the section for the second sensor thats screwed into the air box. if you dont have that you can simply wrap that section with about 3 to 5 layers of duct/electrical tape and it will seal since this is a sucking not blowing action.

The red pattern is the winner

Last edited by Biggamehit; 03-23-2007 at 06:54 PM.