NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

NA s14 running rich

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:32 PM

Mmmm ok, I see what you're sayin, I'll give that a go. Sadly I now have seemingly greater problems to worry about... Last night I was coming home from a party with my GF in the wee hours of the morning , cruising along at 70 on the freeway and all of a sudden it's just like I took my foot off the throttle. I started to slow down and I would try to give it gas and it wouldn't go above more then 2500 or so, very little power. Pulled over, car was idling erratically, checked everything I could think to check, fuses, fluid levels, temp, anything that looked like it was leaking, damaged, burnt etc. Nothin. Got a slight wiff of something burning as I stopped, but it could have just been fuel. After I checked everything out I started up the car fine and drove it the last 50 or so miles home. I noticed that my map light was flickering a little when I first stopped but no other electrical jitters other then that. I have had this little issue for a while where the electrical fan on my car runs for too long after the car is off sometimes. My car's temp sits at about 45% of the scale and I have never had it overheat even slightly when pushed for extended periods. Most of the time if the electric fan does run (which is only when it's really hot) it does so for 1-2 minutes after the car is off. But when it glitches out it will keep going pretty much indefinitely. If I disconnect and reconnect the relay it stops... or as I found out I can just whack the fuse box slightly with my hand and it will stop ;-) terrible... I know. Not sure if that could be related. Stupid electrical system.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Enlefo
I have had this little issue for a while where the electrical fan on my car runs for too long after the car is off sometimes. My car's temp sits at about 45% of the scale and I have never had it overheat even slightly when pushed for extended periods. Most of the time if the electric fan does run (which is only when it's really hot) it does so for 1-2 minutes after the car is off. But when it glitches out it will keep going pretty much indefinitely. If I disconnect and reconnect the relay it stops... or as I found out I can just whack the fuse box slightly with my hand and it will stop ;-) terrible... I know. Not sure if that could be related. Stupid electrical system.
Why didn't you mention this earlier? If your fan runs constantly the the ecu can't calibrate your A/Fr's because of operating temperatures, especially if it has this problem while the engine is running. If the operating temp gets to high or runs to low the engine will run RICH. Get a new relay, or don't bother using the fan relay and get a thermostatic switch, then reset the ecu.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 08-19-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:04 PM

Got a new relay a couple days ago. Installed that and my service engine light hasn't come back on... YET. Car has been performing well, even before the relay, but still has an AFR that's a little rich and more erratic then it should be. I need to find some pliers to pull my injectors so I can replace the o rings. I had no luck trying to remove them by hand the other day.

Last edited by Enlefo; 08-23-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 PM

where is the Vacuum??? where is it?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

okay, so vinnie, you said that if a fan runs constantly, it effs up the ecu, right? well, i think my clutch fan is broken, because i think it might run constantly, even at higher rpms and speeds.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by cronux
okay, so vinnie, you said that if a fan runs constantly, it effs up the ecu, right? well, i think my clutch fan is broken, because i think it might run constantly, even at higher rpms and speeds.
Well a clutch fan bogs HP already. If it runs constantly without disengaging it can cause the ecu to run A/Fr's to run rich or lean depending on load, and temperature.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 AM

When was the last time you CHANGED your front O2 sensor?
Old 09-07-2007, 08:34 PM

I had changed it about 20k miles ago but when it came loose a few weeks ago I guess it got damaged. The sensor tip inside the little cage part was snapped off! Pretty insane, I guess the vibration killed it. Car runs well now and back to getting 350 a tank, my wideband o2 reading is a bit squirrelly so I'm gonna try cleaning it out.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:04 PM

Cool

Good to here you got it fixed....