NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

noise in engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 09:31 AM

Question noise in engine

Hey people

I was wondering if any of you guys have or ever had a clicking like noise comming out of your engine? Well to be exact its comming from the timming chain area? I was told its my distrubuter but im think it my chain... Im not really sure what wrong but the clicking noise is annoying me Let me know if you ever had that problem and tell me how to fix it, thanx
Old 07-27-2003, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the infamous death rattle. It is your timing chain guides. Mine were loud enough to start people's alarms when I drove with them.

I lucked out. There are a couple timing chain guides but the easiest to change is the upper guide. All you have to do is take off your valve cover and it is there right in front of you being held down by either two 10mm or 12mm bolts.

The guide looks like a right angle. The top of mine was broken and was just riding the chain. It was not pretty.

What was nice was once I took it off the car got quiet again.

Good luck.

I will try and get some pictures for you if someone in my group goes to do theirs. I think we have to do Sal’s and he owns a SOHC but it will be damn close to the same on the DOHC.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:58 AM

where did you get the replacement guide? or did you just take it off and not put a new one on? Mine has started that noise, among other things...

Thanks,
M.Lee
Old 07-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

There was a release from Nissan saying that it was not needed. There are some kits out there with newly designed guides. There is one on www.courtesyparts.com

I didn't go for it because she is going to get replaced with a SR this winter.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:23 PM

is it really that simple to get rid of the clicking/scratching noise? I just noticed one thing, the engine only make that noise when the car isn't moving or just ideling. It dosn't do it when the car start up but only like once the car warm up, was it the same for you stanbo?
Old 07-28-2003, 03:17 AM
Contributing Member

Yep. I stood around my friends when we first starting hanging out swearing my car was the ****. I didn't have the rattle. Then it overheated and the timing guide broke. Then I had the loudest rattle.

Mine started on first crank.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:27 PM

I just took off the top chain guild, and the noise is still there. How hard is it to get the other chain guild off? I just spoke to a friend of mine, she used to own a pulse and she had the same noise. Well she told me that her chian timming chain broke afterward and well from her story i hope it not my timming chain. Is it a possiblity that its my chain that i need to replace?
Old 08-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Elusive240RI
I just took off the top chain guild, and the noise is still there. How hard is it to get the other chain guild off? I just spoke to a friend of mine, she used to own a pulse and she had the same noise. Well she told me that her chian timming chain broke afterward and well from her story i hope it not my timming chain. Is it a possiblity that its my chain that i need to replace?
Answer these questions:

1. Are you going to do a swap?
2. Do you have the time to have the car in the shop?
3. Do you have the money for the chain kit.

I know that it is not a hard thing but it is a labor intesive removal. Also while you have the front cover off and you are diggin in there to take out the guide you might as well do a timing chain install.