NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

timing issue - now blown motor???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 09:30 PM

timing issue - now blown motor???

Last week I replaced the head gasket, and refurbed the head on my 1991 ka24de. Upon finishing the job, it was obvious that it needed to be re-timed

So, I tow it to the local Nissan Dealer & Service center to have it timed. They said the bottom chain was off one tooth, and the cam gear chains were off by two teeth each. Everything else looks good, no bent valve stems, springs, everything that needed to be just right was good to go.

$600 later, they tell me the car is running great, and to pick it up. I get there and they tell me all compression tests are within range, timing is right on, no leaks are detected. I drive the car home and park it for the night.

Next morning, I inspect the car. Find the PCV valve not connected to the cover. Distributor cap screws not screwed in alll the way, and a bolt clearly loose on the left side of the head. Oil and coolant were full.

I secure all these items thinking they're idiots at the service shop, and think nothing more of it.

30 miles down the road. Car starts to over heat and running extremely rough, I pull over into a parking lot. I pop the hood expecting to see coolant or oil. Nothing out of the ordinary under the hood, except for boiling coolant. I let the car cool for about 40 minutes, check the oil, and coolant level. Both were still full. I start the car. Huge amount of smoke out the exhaust, and the smell of antifreeze.

Then Whap, Whap, Click. The Motor just seized. WTF!

So here I am, Saturday night wondering what would have caused this. On top of it all , the $600 I spent wants me to point the finger at someone.

My question is - should I point the finger at myself for some unknown mistake. Or should I point it at the mechanics that claimed my car was running great, and had some loose ends that weren't finished.

Any Ideas or Suggestions let me know! Parted out KA24DE Motor soon to come.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:35 AM

take it to the dealer...its their fault...if you found many things not secured properly.....that would have to be the reason why it probably seized...i say tow it back
Old 06-11-2006, 10:18 AM

uhh did u line up the dots when u put the timng chain if u did thay cant tell u the chain is off by 1 maby the dizzy was off one tooth but not the chain their fault!! all u have to do is prove it
Old 06-11-2006, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by chiroke
uhh did u line up the dots when u put the timng chain...
All dots and mating marks were lined up to the best of our knowledge. Even if they weren't, the dealership was responsible for everything that had to do with the timing. We do have photo's throughout most of the process of the gasket replacement.

The pic is prior to removal.
Attached Thumbnails timing issue - now blown motor???-cams.jpg  
Old 06-12-2006, 05:52 AM

The dealer is going to take a 2nd look at it, and pay for the towing.

I'm having a real bad feeling that they might try and pull a fast one.

Hopefully, it will work out....
Old 06-12-2006, 07:03 AM

they will try and pull a fast one...trust me i worked at a dealership..nissan at that..if you have pictures of what you did and know youreself that you lined up everything with the dots and can prove it...they should give you either a junkyard engine or a brand new one...depends on how cheap they feel..
Old 06-12-2006, 07:28 AM

^^^ In your experience, you've seen this done? I also contacted the local attorny general office for a complaint report. I should be able to cover all the bases. Will find out this week!
Old 06-14-2006, 01:34 PM

I just got the verdict from the dealership. They claim that there is a head gasket failure. Coolant, leaking into the motor causing it to over heat to the point on stalling.

They said the could tell by simply looking into the radiator.

There are no signs of failure on the outside of the motor, and they aren't willing to take the head off without charging me labor.

From here, I'll accept the idea that what they are telling me is true, and take the lose.