NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

what does rebuilding an engine mean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 07:24 AM

what does rebuilding an engine mean?

im curious. cuz if i cant get the money for an sr20, i could ust take a newer ka24det and just add parts to it and if i think what rebuild is, then rebuild it.

rebuild. im taking a shot, like new headers, polishing parts and boring out others, etc...
Old 05-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Rebuild means to take apart an engine and replace all the internals (pistons, rods, crank, etc) with either OEM or aftermarket parts. This in essence gives your engine a new life, and more power if you replace with stronger internals.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:58 AM

is it worth it. $$ money wise. or am i better off getting an sr20det??
Old 05-28-2005, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

thats been argued by many. Some say just get an SR and call it a day. Some (like me) say BUILD YOU KA. Theres alot of potential in these motors but no ones wants to work work them. If you build a KA and turbo it, youll be faster than some SR swapped 240. its basically up to the owner. theres no DEFINETE answer to tha question.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:53 AM

hrmm... any guides on that, seeing i dont know jack about engines?
Old 05-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Whether to rebuild a motor or not is really up to the owner IMO. If you want to have instant power, just swap an sr. If you were a grease monkey and enjoy working on cars, then rebuild a KA- turbo later if that's what you want. A lot of people don't really have the time nor the space to rebuild a motor themselves so the sr route would be the logical choice-but remember the legality issue that comes with rb or sr or ca motors or any j-spec motors. (there's a thread on this subject. search it)

a KA can be rebuilt/upgraded
an SR can also be rebuilt/upgraded
what's your plan for the car? what's the hp goal?
You asked if rebuilding a KA is worth the money. Well, after finishing a project doesn't it feel good to say, "I did that"

GL with whatever decision you make. Search button is your friend

Old 05-28-2005, 01:17 PM

well. i dont plan to really do much.. i just have an old240 that i wanna keep around forever.. My current engine has 140,000miles on it and i also plan to change the transmission from auto to manual...

if anything, i plan to drift just to have fun in the future, but not hardcore, just to have fun....

and im debating on an s13 front end conversion...
Old 05-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

my car has 211k on the dial, but the person I bought it from had the cluster changed so I don't really know how many miles it has. Still rolling tho! You can drift with that car as is. Get a real lsd so you don't do a one legger. If you're on a budget, then I guess just find a vlsd. Get coilovers. If you're planning on getting a spring/shock combo and THEN upgrade later, just save your money for the coils. Don't waste your money on the spring/shock combo if you plan to upgrade anyway. Do it right the first time. I've heard that the best bang for your buck spring/shock combo are tein s tech springs with agx strut/shocks
Old 05-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

I want to rebuild my KA-E. If i replaced my piston's (w/ stock ones) do i have to do anything to the cylinders, like hone them?
Old 05-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

It'd be a good idea to hone them out just because the more miles with the original pistons and block....the more wear. The pistons will wear against the cylinder wall a certain way and the new ones might get caught up if it's uneven a little bit. You DON'T want your engine to seize up, (no sh*t). lol. If you do rebuild, test the movement, if it's touchy, hone the walls.