NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

What The Problem Is?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 06:41 PM

What The Problem Is?

Well i've noticed everytime i put gas in my car, the gas tank gauge never goes past the first line above empty! and i know i put more than that! haha anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

::EDIT::
oh and i did try the search and didn't find anything =P that delt with the issue i'm having. Also...Thanks for your time! ^^
Old 09-16-2004, 11:48 PM
Contributing Member

Your fuel lever sensor thing in your tank must be out of place.

How do you fix that you ask...I have no clue.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

it is either bent- might have happened when the fuel pump was changed... or it might just be getting stuck from years of use... either way... to fix it you have to remove the fuel level sending unit outta the fuel tank...easier to do with very little fuel in the car... dropping an empty fuel tank aint all that easy for one person and almost not possible with a full one... either way the tank has to come down so you can get to the sending unit... with the tank on the ground it is easier to see what you have to work with... you can try to fix the one you have - if it is just getting stuck but a bent one is harder to fix... you could save lots of headaches by just going to the junk yard and getting a sending unit from a different tank... while you are at it good time to put in a new fuel pump and sock filter... there are a lot of posts about putting in the 300 zx fuel pump and since the tank is down might as well do it...
Old 09-17-2004, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

You DONOT need to drop your tank to fix it. The sending unit is an assembly with the pump.
It doesnt matter how much fuel you have as the pump & sending unit come out through the top of the tank & can be acessed from the hatch/trunk area from the acess panel on the floor.
Depending on how much rust you have it can take as little as 1/2 an hour to take out.

Before you go replacing the sending unit. OHM the wires. You do this my sticking an OHM meter on the wires & moving the level up & down. If the meter reading doesnt change the sender is bad.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:12 AM

a lot of 240's have the gas sensor problem. Ill fill up my tank and a couple days later the needle will be below empty. I have NO idea how to fix this either, its really annoying.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

the reason i stated droping the tank is... like in my car the access panel has been welded shut by the previous owner or somewhere along the line...i choose to drop the fuel tank for inspection and because i can... not to mention the fact that i dont want to drip fuel all over the inside of my car...