NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

where to start :(

Old 04-05-2007, 11:06 AM

where to start :(

ok, 2 weeks ago i put ANOTHER KA and tranny in my 92 hatchback due to blowing the head gasket on the last one. ok so i got it in and i took a while to get it running how i wanted it, it ran really good for a few days then it started acting funny. heres whats going on, it idles like **** (won't even stay running most of the time) to the point were if i stop at a light i have to feed it gas just to keep it idleing, i've checked all the vaccuum lines, MAF, spark, alternator, etc... everything but the timing, oil pressure, and fuel delivery, but everything i checked looks good. also, this motor won't run a thermostat i've put 3 thermostats in and none of them would let coolant through and even tested them all in hot water and they opened up fine,(never had this problem in my life and i've done thermostats countless times, it's not really something easily messed up if you know what i mean) so i'm thinking about drilling a hole in one of them to keep my temp where it needs to be (it jumps around everywhere, hot at idle and cold at high rpms). but i noticed today after pulling into work that i have coolant dripping off my passenger side fender at the front of the door???? i traced it back and couldn't find anywhere it would be leaking from, anyone have any ideas??? i'm putting in NIsmo motor/ tranny mounts today so maybe i'll see something with the motor raised up a little but just wondering if anyones ran into the same thing?

Edit: i got the motor set from some trust worthy people who i've done alot of business with and they vouched for the motor and tranny so any insight would be much appreiciated. thanks guys

Last edited by buyMEbeerPLEASE; 04-05-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

for starters.. on you T-Stat ( thermostat) that is a little notch on the front of it, that must be pointing upward...

also have you changed the PCV............... when that becomes clogged, it causes the problems that you face. also Make sure you vacuums have no cracks or holes...

start there and come back bro.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:32 AM

yeah, i've checked all the vacuum lines for cracks and they all look good, it ran a little better today, however, i've discovered my coolant problems... my heater core went out and coolant has been leaking out of my dash into my passenger side floor pan... im just going to bypass the hoses and hope for the best as i have no a/c or heat at all in my car. but i'll check the PCV valve and get back to you, i appreciate it alot man, thanks alot.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

DAMN that sucks i have never seen that befor