NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Will Turn over, then Dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 08:17 AM

Question Will Turn over, then Dies **FIXED**

**UPDATE FIXED**
Thanx for everyones help, I got it fixed. It turned out that when the belt broke it sliced the wire for the MAF sensor and most of the other sensors attached to it. The wiring wasnt totally sliced however, it mostly tore off their insulation. This caused alot of the wires to be touching bare wires together, causing it to throw all kinds of crazy codes and basically confusing the ECU to mess up the Air:Fuel Ratio. The reason I didnt see it was because it was sliced underneath and the top and sides looked absolutely normal. I just had to get some wire crimpers and rewire the harness (10 min job).

Everyone was really helpful! Thanx!

------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 93 KA24DE, A/T, Yellow Top Battery, NGK Plugs and Wires, all new belts and basic mods (intake, exhaust, brakes)

This is the background of what happened:

I was installing rotors and pads in my car on Saturday and found that the nut holding my alternator had come out and the alternator bolt was about 1/2 an inch away from falling off of the car. (I was lucky to have seen it) So, I bolted it back up and noticed that the about to fall out alternator had frayed my new belt some, and it needed to be replaced.

Tuesday I was driving home from work and the belt broke and like shattered into the fan and a few other pulleys in small parts. The car kept running at slow speeds and made it home. I think the yellow top is the reason the car still had enough power to run some.

Wednesday I got home, moved the car to be lifted and put in a new belt onto the alternator. When I started the car though is when it got weird.

This is the Problem:

The Car will now turn over like normal, but die right away. If i put my foot on the gas I can keep it running at like 2K RPM or so, anything over 3K RPM and it sputters bad. The engine is shaking more than normal and as soon as i take my foot off the gas it dies right away.

I am not sure what is up at all, the alternator worked fine on Tuesday and the car will start w/out the alternator belt, but not with it... Any Ideas?

Last edited by BarnDog296; 06-27-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

check all your vacuum lines and electrical connections to make sure theyre all okay... sounds like some sort of vacuum leak. That belt could have knocked something loose...
Old 06-22-2006, 09:35 AM

But it would turn over and drive (although not very fast) before i put the new belt in, on JUST the battery
Old 06-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

check to make sure connections on the alt arent grounding out?