Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

Building a SCCA Autox car (ST class)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by hatrick6
On a side note: After some research on headers it would seem DC sports and Hotshot (4-2-1) are the best performing headers, however BOTH of these companies stopped making them for the s14. Anyone know where I can still get one? Maybe someone has a used one to sell? Or does anyone know of another brand that is equally as good? (and can back that up with stats on paper/dynos?)
DC hasn't stopped making heades for s14, there just not legal for the street. Its the same header for the s13 that can be used for the street.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
DC hasn't stopped making heades for s14, there just not legal for the street. Its the same header for the s13 that can be used for the street.
AH ok I see it now, so you are saying I could just buy the s13 headers and they will fit my s14? And if so, are you sure? (I ask because their site says "1991-1994 s13 only") Perhaps I will call them and ask....
Old 08-02-2009, 09:00 PM

AH ok I see it now, so you are saying I could just buy the s13 headers and they will fit my s14? And if so, are you sure? (I ask because their site says "1991-1994 s13 only") Perhaps I will call them and ask....
It's only for smog compliance hommie.
You will end up losing your catylitic converter because the collector is moved down the firewall.
I have a smog exempt sticker/C.A.R.B pending on my chassis that is only for s13 chassis.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

wow it seems black and silver vavle covers are the thing today.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:31 AM

It's only for smog compliance hommie.
You will end up losing your catylitic converter because the collector is moved down the firewall.
I have a smog exempt sticker/C.A.R.B pending on my chassis that is only for s13 chassis.
Hmm, I saw that on the race headers, but the "normal" headers I believe keep the cat, and I have to keep the cat in my class.

Also, results from the last event:

8th out of 16 in my class with a score of 963 (for those that don't know score is out of 1,000). To get 8th with a 963 is a uncommon, as 963 is a fairly high score so we had a lot of great drivers out that day. 11th out of 43 over all, with same score obviously (my official raw time was 37.069).

Sorry no videos (I am picking out a camera mount soon, so definitely videos for the next event) but here are a few pics:

Name:  108.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  14.0 KB

Name:  077.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  17.2 KB

Name:  072.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  15.7 KB

Oh and my new sig is a pic some "professional photographer guy" took and doctored up a bit.

Last edited by hatrick6; 08-03-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 AM

Hmm, I saw that on the race headers, but the "normal" headers I believe keep the cat, and I have to keep the cat in my class.
Yechnically you can use the DC sports header. You just have to chop out some exhaust pipe to fit the CAT lower down the collector. The Hot Shot header is the same way.
The only header I knowof that allows OBD2 CATS to bolt up where they need to go is with a Meghan racing header and that thing is a POS.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:25 AM

Yechnically you can use the DC sports header. You just have to chop out some exhaust pipe to fit the CAT lower down the collector. The Hot Shot header is the same way.
The only header I knowof that allows OBD2 CATS to bolt up where they need to go is with a Meghan racing header and that thing is a POS.
What about the OBX? I have heard stories from both sides on that header.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 AM

What about the OBX? I have heard stories from both sides on that header.

OBX is considered a racing header just like the DC sports or HOTSHOT.
OBD2 doesn't allow for a long collector. The CAT essentially becomes the collector, this was done to keep the CAT up to a certain operating temprature.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:24 PM

OBX is considered a racing header just like the DC sports or HOTSHOT.
OBD2 doesn't allow for a long collector. The CAT essentially becomes the collector, this was done to keep the CAT up to a certain operating temprature.
Hmmm, well maybe I'll try to find a used DC or Hotshot header and cut it down and re-weld it so that it bolts to the cat.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 PM

Hmmm, well maybe I'll try to find a used DC or Hotshot header and cut it down and re-weld it so that it bolts to the cat.

WTF? Your going to cut the header collector? That ruins the whole point of it being a performance header. Chop exhaust pipe, not the header.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:01 AM

WTF? Your going to cut the header collector? That ruins the whole point of it being a performance header. Chop exhaust pipe, not the header.
Here's the problem (per SCCA autox rules):

Catalytic Converters:
ST, STS:
Catalytic converters may be replaced by aftermarket units. Replacements
must:
1) Be certified for use in that vehicle application by the manufacturer
or reconditioner,

2) Bear correct EPA-mandated labeling,
3) Be of the OE quantity and type (i.e. oxidation, three-way, etc.)
and
4) Be used in the same location(s) as the OE converter(s).
This does allow for high performance replacements, provided
they meet all restrictions herein.

Pertaining to rule number 4, the cat cannot be moved more than 6in from original location. So obviously if I use a header that is "cat delete" like the DC or hotshot and I bolt the cat to it, its going to move the cat 1ft or so (the length of the cat) down stream. This would violate the rules, where as if I cut down the very end of the header (the collector) the cat can stay in the original place. By cutting down the collector do you really thing I will loose that much power?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

well.. this is the debate........ if the headers are R&Ded to make this and that blah blah hp.... you are potentially altering the product that was "scientifically" produced.... All I can say is, its better than stock.

should be interesting.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
All I can say is, its better than stock.
That's what I am thinking. Anyways the suspension setup is the next mod, ordering next month (adjustable koni yellows with gc coilovers, eibach springs, and some pillowball mounts which I haven't decided what brand yet) so I have some time to think about what I want to do header-wise since I won't be getting one for a few months.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:45 PM

Dude If you are going through the trouble of mutilating a header, You might as well port, extrude, hone the stock cast iron exhaust manifold, and add a magna flow high flow 3" CAT.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Dude If you are going through the trouble of mutilating a header, You might as well port, extrude, hone the stock cast iron exhaust manifold, and add a magna flow high flow 3" CAT.
Or even better buy a turbo exhaust manifold "Bottom mount" to but the 3" CAT too. It would be the same thing as an OBD2 stock exhaust, accept "BETTER".

Name:  PIC-0069.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  42.1 KB

Last edited by BigVinnie; 08-09-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Building a SCCA Autox car (ST class)