Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

the little engine that could

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

time for some bad news.

about an hour ago i was on my way out when my engine started knocking. i don't think it had anything to do with the "new" maf because the a/f gauge read fine the temp was below normal because it's so cold. i hope no damage was done but i won't really be able to do any thing until possibly monday
after work.

even though i doubt the maf had anything to do with it i removed the maf and installed the old one. i suspect there is an obstruction of some sort in the vacuum lines. under very gradual acceleration or at wot the engine will not knock. it could also be a bad solenoid but i wound really know until monday.

just when things were getting good too.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 07-06-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

hmmmmmm

rod knock?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

^nope.

i found the problem. so i got home to day and first thing i did was pop the hood before it got darker in hopes of finding a big switch in the off position, and guess what i kinda did. saturday i was reading the ecu codes and got #43 - tps sensor out of range.

so i went about to set it where it should be but i forgot to tighten the screws and thus the tps moved around enough to mess with my timing. i'd been sick all week and knew i shouldn't have been messing with my car because i was so out of it but i couldn't help myself.

i didn't bother adjusting it and seeing what happens because i'm fairy certain that that was the problem and what ever damage was done is done. i only drove it for about a mile and the knock was minor so i'm just hoping for the best.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 11-12-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

so i got around to adjusting the tps and tightened the screws this time. the knocking it gone, whoever i seem to have bent a few valves as the result of my negligence. it sucks because i've put a lot of time into this car and now i cant enjoy driving it for a while.

i have the money to have shop fix it but i can do it myself i just would have much rather spent that time and money of something else. live and learn i guess.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:54 PM

put the cam in while you are at it
Old 11-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

that sucks. maybe a built top end now since you have to rip the head off?
Old 11-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by scooz14
put the cam in while you are at it

right when i started the car i knew something was wrong. it idled fine but the engine sounded like it already had a performance cam. i though well at least it sounds like i wanted it to sound.

Originally Posted by 1993Coupe
that sucks. maybe a built top end now since you have to rip the head off?
that's defiantly a possibility but i have yet to figure out the extent of the damage. right now i'm hoping a few bent valves is all.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

hopefully the valves didnt damage the pistons to badly also if your short on cash you could always get a head from a junkyard for dirt cheap
Old 11-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by battosaii930
you could always get a head from a junkyard for dirt cheap
oh how i with this were true. but sadly around here finding a 240 in a junkyard is like striking gold. a sohc 240 is like sticking gold and oil on the same day. but i have a spare engine that i can take parts from so i should be fine as far as parts are concerned.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

damn there are always s13's in my local u-pick and occasionally s14's i goto go again soon i need a door lock and a combination switch for my coupe and maybe some tail lights
Old 12-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

so today it stopped snowing long enough for me to go out and start the tare down. i removed the pulleys, disconnected the harness and a few other things. then i got hungry so i stopped.
but before i called it a day i marked the header where i need to do some grinding. i have a hard time getting the socket on the plug to remove them so i might as well take care of that too.

it might be a while before it's running again because of the weather and other obligations but i'll have it running better than ever.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 08-17-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Hey man, I got a sohc head, just let me know! I want to see this bad boy RUN!

Also, to relieve fuel pressure, you could just pull the fuel pump relay and turn it over a few times.

Last edited by DriftX; 12-02-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

so i finally got around to pulling the head off. the gasket was blown so that explains the low or lack of compression in two cylinders while the other two were fine.

the valves leak but it seems that they are not sealing because of some carbon build up. i haven't had a chance to make sure the head is not warped but i'm not concerned about that, it should be fine.

now i just have to clean it up remove a broken exhaust stud and put it back together. too bad it's pitch black by the time i get home from work. not to mention it's cold windy. so it might be another month or so before i'm done.

i just hope i still remember how everything goes back together.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

the temps are rising and the snow seems to have stopped for this year so i'll get back to putting the head back on this weekend. unless it snow or i leave town for the weekend. but here's a little something i picked up over the weekend.

this should go great with the coil i all ready have installed.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 07-13-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Nice, do you have to like 'program' those ignitions?

Quick Reply: the little engine that could