Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

the little engine that could

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

not this particular module although msd dose make some that are programmable. i was actually looking into the summit ignitions. imo summit brand ignitions are better than msd and cheaper. but for $50 shipped i couldn't pass up this deal.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

i've been really lazy lately so i haven't posted any updates but here they are. fist as you can see there is a reason i never showed the hood in any pics. this was off of the parts car i bough after the accident.

here's the new look.

since i remove the head and the header i went ahead and did some final hammering on the firewall to allow the o2 sensor to fit with a custom pneumatic hammer bit.

relocated the charcoal canister since i didn't feel like getting ride of it. i also raped up the upper radiator hose with some reflector tape. it works well because i brought the temp the hose radiated 8 degrees.

with the fans on the outside and the charcoal canister moved i was about to better locate the wires and hoses.

the msd 6a and coil are installed but the tach wasn't working so i ordered the adapter for is but have yet to wire everything together. i also made an ugly but effective heat shield to protect the ignition components.

i also got some wheel that i don't expect to be on anyone most baller wheel ever but that's fine because that's not what i'm going for anyway.

205/45 +35 17x7 and about -1º of camber looks looks to me.

so now it's just a matter of setting the tps and timing just right then a paint job then install the wheels. i plan on having that done within the next month or so just as i originally anticipated to get to it.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 02-04-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:25 AM

sohc is awsome! i got one too man. lol. how do those headers sound? are they loud? i was offered some similar to those for 150
Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Pretty cool, sohcs are neat. Your into stock looks and whatnot. Why didn't you just go with sentra or Z wheels?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nissan91
sohc is awsome! i got one too man. lol. how do those headers sound? are they loud? i was offered some similar to those for 150
there was a very noticeable change in the tone of the engine and good gains in hp. overall i'd say that the header has been the single most satisfying upgrade. other than the o2 sensor not fitting right, i haven't had any problems.

Originally Posted by MS!3
Pretty cool, sohcs are neat. Your into stock looks and whatnot. Why didn't you just go with sentra or Z wheels?
i wish i could have got my hands on some sentra wheels i looked around but i just couldn't find any used wheels that hadn't been painted some color other than silver. i have two complaints about the wheels but i can live with that. one is that the wheels are 7", i was hoping to find them in 7.5" so the 205 tires would be a bit stretched. i was thinking about some 18x7.5 but that would mean i'd need something like a 205/40/18 tire. i don't much care for the thin sidewall so i got these in 17" and 205/45.

the other is that the wheels themselves are a little heavier than i would have liked. they weigh 21lbs but considering that i wanted something that looked like a stock wheel it is obvious that more material would be used than a lightweight wheels that only weighed something like 18lbs or so. that and the fact that all the other wheels had offset in the +40 to +45 range. these wheels are +35 ircc so along 10mm spacers on the rear should look just fine.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 07-12-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
also i should add that truly noticeable hp gains can only be achived by the introduction of more air,fuel, and spark. reducing rotational mass will only free up hp that your engine is currently capable of producing.
You forgot a major factor, advanced timing at the distributor... One benefit the KAe's have over the KA24de's is it's less potent compression ratio. It would be hard to get the EGT high enough before you would see diminished HP and torque numbers. Besides put those platinum plugs and MSD to some good use!!!
Advanced 5degrees timing and a few gallons of 91 and you can start feeling a lot of acceleration and a little more rev from the SOHC KA's.
The true draw back is the MAF though, as it will hinder performance in higher RPMS. The stock MAF is limited to it's range in voltage so with a big displacement 4 banger such as the KA the voltage will max out before the KA comes close to reaching it's peak rev.

Other than that this is an excellent right up!!! I've been in and out of checking the progress on this and it is good!!!!

Last edited by BigVinnie; 07-02-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

thank you vinnie for the compliment.

yes i did neglect the timing factor but for a few good reasons that i'll get to latter. idk just how accurate the desktop dyno is but i ran some simulations a while back and found that retarding the timing but 2° actually produced better numbers than advancing it 5°. this was some time ago so i don't remember the specifics but that was what i found. so i like to keep the timing within +/-2°

othere than that i've never been crazy about messing with the timing and the other is gas prices are so insane that all i want to run regular unleaded. i have considered upgrading the maf but the thing is that this car is intended to be a dd that mostly sees city driving. the power band i have in mind on improving is in the 1k-4k range just for this reason. for the longest time now i've wanted a cam because i knew that would do the trick but was too undeceived as to which to get.

the colt cam tri flow 1 is perfect for me because the gains are in the 1200-5500 rpms and it's a drop in cam that requires no additional work on the tower or ecu tune. not only that but it also offers the benefits of both of the previous grinds colt cams offerers.

i'm just waiting now for some cooler weather so i can go outside and finish things up so i can move on to the next step which will be lowering the car a bit more and correcting the rear camber.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
thank you vinnie for the compliment.

yes i did neglect the timing factor but for a few good reasons that i'll get to latter. idk just how accurate the desktop dyno is but i ran some simulations a while back and found that retarding the timing but 2° actually produced better numbers than advancing it 5°. this was some time ago so i don't remember the specifics but that was what i found. so i like to keep the timing within +/-2°

othere than that i've never been crazy about messing with the timing and the other is gas prices are so insane that all i want to run regular unleaded. i have considered upgrading the maf but the thing is that this car is intended to be a dd that mostly sees city driving. the power band i have in mind on improving is in the 1k-4k range just for this reason. for the longest time now i've wanted a cam because i knew that would do the trick but was too undeceived as to which to get.

the colt cam tri flow 1 is perfect for me because the gains are in the 1200-5500 rpms and it's a drop in cam that requires no additional work on the tower or ecu tune. not only that but it also offers the benefits of both of the previous grinds colt cams offerers.

i'm just waiting now for some cooler weather so i can go outside and finish things up so i can move on to the next step which will be lowering the car a bit more and correcting the rear camber.
Desk top dynos mostly measure torque. So yeah retarding the timing would improve your daily driving torque numbers. But a desk top is extremely in accurate when trying to measure real time numbers like braking resistances and even data logging which would measure A/Fr's. To many variables to say that it is accurate.

Purpose of octane fuel is to prevent knock and ping. Knock and ping is mostly caused from plugs that run to hot, ( I would say atleast 80% of knock and ping is caused from early ignition misfire which is associated with hot plugs).
In your case you are using platinum plugs which are one step further in heat resistance than copper plugs.

If you look at more efficient engines to date such as F22c's, or VQ35HR's they all use iridium spark plugs which have the most resistance to heat preventing most knock and ping from occurring. Now keep in mind these engines run high 11.1:1 cr's and 91 octane. You would think that engines with such high compression would need higher octane to tolerate such a high yielding heat and EGT factor.....

Cam placement (time valve opens and closes to crank stroke) between the KA24e and KA24de aren't to much different from each other as far as valve overlap is concerned. KA24de's have a base timing at 20BTDC, and the compression is much higher. The higher compression actually limits the amount of advancement that a KA24de can use before there are deminishing returns from a high EGT. SOHCs don't have the inherent high compression and egt problems that the DOHC's have.
Now it is true that gas prices are high, but the chances of you increasing fuel economy on a higher octane is more probable, ( you wouldn't see much difference in city driving for stop and go , but for freeway driving there is a huge difference), so in any circumstance what you pay for per every mile driven on 87 octane would be comparable to paying a little bit more to slightly better gas mileage on lets say an 89 or 91 Octane for freeway driving.
Higher rated octanes can come in all forms from raised burn rates (Kilo Joules) or what people call BTU, to just being a low energy BTU such as ethanol to prevent knock and ping. There is a huge misconception about the properties of Octane fuels, that it just works to prevent knock and ping... Thats wrong. Octane is a rating used to measure the suppression of knock and ping, which in most cases higher (LHV) fuels are used which have much higher KJ. In this instance a higher rated KJ fuel without the recognition of it's octane rating will in fact increase gas mileage as it takes longer to burn in the combustion process, this will also raise cylinder pressure which will over all increase torque and HP. Most high rated Octanes are MONs so to notice this difference you wouldn't really see it or use it to your advantage unless you like mid and high range power from your engine.

Now with that said I'm willing to bet your engine would have more power better gas mileage with advanced timing and a higher octane rated fuel.

My engine alone is an experiment that I have spent years to perfect. Using mostly OEM parts, except for a few bolt ons to have an engine that could offer both reasonably good gas mileage as well as performance, (well that and smog in my state sucks, so I work with what I have). Since my last dyno I've tried a different SAFC setting which I feel I have perfected since the last dyno tune. So far freeway driving on 91 octane at 3500RPM in 5th gear (81MPH) I get a consistent 28MPG. Now using a bit of ease in 4th and 5th gear staying between 3000RPM and 2800RPM on the freeway my car makes a relative 30MPG on 91octane. I failed to mention I use the most effecient plugs offered on the market, (NGK iridiums)
As far as city driving goes there really are no changes to what the EPA has recommended which is relatively on AVG 21MPG, that number won't change to much because most RON Octane fuels are low to knock and ping suppression, and the engine deals with load, and vacuum when you are at lower close to idle rpm's.

Anyways blah, blah, blah, Big Vin is just talking out his *** again...

Last edited by BigVinnie; 07-03-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

actually the plugs are iridium/platinum which supposedly makes them better than standard iridium plugs or at least the bosch web site claims they are.
they were the only iridium plugs available so i had to shell out about $12 a plug for these +4 ir fusion. i'd much rather use a single electrode iridium plug if ngk made any for my engine but they don't as far as i know.

since you brought up octane, what's your take on home brews vinnie?
Old 07-05-2008, 07:39 PM

so wat does the outside of ur car look like
Old 07-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

the outside still looks like it did about six month ago before i ran into the set back with the head gasket. that should be changing in the next month or so.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 PM

why did you cut up your bumper?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:09 AM

I use toluene to boost the torque numbers and xylene to boost HP numbers.

Xylene has the highest rated octane in RON and MON, and it is rated at the highest KJ burn. The mixture of toluene is a moderate MON octane booster..... My mixture is 1/3 gallon xylene and 2/3 gallon toluene mixed with 4 gallons of street 91 octane (10% ethanol) AKI 91.
This is about a 95 rated AKI Octane fuel that is enriched with a high KJ burn I recommend it for track use over most pump gas 100 octanes, and it is a potent 95Octane mixture I guarantee it, I would say it is stronger than what sunoco has to sell as far as rated KJ for what you pay for, or what there blended 100 octane fuel is.

Another brew I am working on is a 4% biodiesel blend which should effectively make better fuel economy, as well as increased power when added to a 91 octane street fuel with 10% ethanol......

Finding Toluene and xylene for moderately cheap a gallon is hard though. At most mom and pop hardware stores it cost $20 a gallon. Go to surplus stores you can get it for around $11.00 gallon.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 07-06-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nissan91
why did you cut up your bumper?

i rear ended someone a few years ago and ruined the hood, headlight covers, and damaged the fenders and bumper. i replaced the hood and headlight covers but fixed the fenders and bumper. i like this look better but more importantly it allows for better air flow to the radiator and engine bay.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 07-13-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:59 AM

so what do you drive as a dd since you dont drive the 240?

Quick Reply: the little engine that could