Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

the little engine that could

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
it's not as quiet as i'd like it to be so i'll be adding a resonator sometime in the near future. it's not a raspy loud either but a more of a muscle car roar so it's not bad.
Make a video man
Old 08-04-2008, 05:58 PM

how come you didnt go and get an Apexi N1 or a HKS full system????????
Old 08-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94Boy
Make a video man
i would but i don't have a video camera. i could use my phone or digital camera but i doubt the audio quality would be any good.

Originally Posted by 180f!xherUp
neither is inconspicuous!!!!!!!!!, that and i like to make things.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 PM

N1 and HKS is just over rated and JDM TYTE YO!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 180f!xherUp
actually there is more to it than i initially said. there is a number of reasons as to why i didn't just buy an apex n1 hks or any other system. i'll address a few as they come to mind.

the first would be price, the apex and hks systems for my car are both in the $600 range. my pieced together system will be in the $150 range once i buy the resonator.

secondly there is this belief of mine that the bottom line is that an exhaust system is an exhaust system. all exhaust systems serve the same purpose, ie transfer hot gasses from point a to point b. the difference is that some do it more efficiently than others be it through the use of larger tubing, unrestrictive resonators, eliminating unnecessary bends in the tubing, coated tubing for insulating heat which in tern allows for faster traveling gasses, and so forth.

thirdly but the most important of all, personal preference. the whole idea behind this build is to have a car that is not too low, not too loud, not too flashy. basically this is what i feel the car should have looked like from the factory. i want a car that is fun to drive but will not attract unwanted attention.

hp gains. how much would you say i'd gain from the apex or hks systems? what about my system? that's hard to say without a dyno. but lets say i gain 10whp with the apex or hks system while only 5whp with mine. that's $450 for 5 more hp.

now lets put all these factors into perspective and reevaluate your question and i'll you ask a question of my own. why should i get an apex n1 or hks system?

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 11-07-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

yea i agree even i with a turbo that benefits more from a larger exhaust diameter didnt go with an expensive apexi exhaust... i just went with a $200 ebay one and it has serverd me well these past years. although its now a goldish color from heat its still as pretty as the day i got it never had to look back.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

compared to the well known brands i'd go with the cheap ones on ebay as well. the reason i didn't is because i already had a magnaflow muffler but it was too loud, it was probably because i didn't have a resonator then either but i like the look of this muffler more anyways.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:37 PM

I saw your ignition system. When I get another 240 I plan on upgrading the ignition. I plan on upgrading the coil much like you have. What I don't understand is the advantage of running an ignition box. I have read that some MSD ignition boxes allow for adjustable ignition rev limiters. What I am really trying to say is what do aftermarket ignition boxes do and how do they help the ignition system.

Last edited by gts13; 08-10-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by gts13
I have read that some MSD ignition boxes allow for adjustable ignition rev limiters. What I am really trying to say is what do aftermarket ignition boxes do and how do they help the ignition system.
Ignition boxes maintain constant amprage through tout the rpm range. Srock ignition boxes can drop off in amprage.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

vinnie has already mentioned the main advantage to using an aftermarket ignition system as the one i have but i'd like to add a few things.

my set up is a basic ignition system which doesn't allow for advancing, retarding, or rev limiting. msd as well as others make such ignition systems but summits line of ignition boxes seem to offerer the most options for the price. also upgrading your igniting is one of few mods that actually pay for themselves because of the slight increase in mpg.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

now resonated and painted.

in case anyone is wondering what i used it's a high temp enamel by rust-oleum. it's of a thicker consistency than most other high temp enamels i've used so it will hopefully adhear better and last longer.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 09-15-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:31 PM

looks good.

I bet you it sounds good too!

(i enjoy my quiet car more!)

Last edited by FuriousZ; 09-09-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FuriousZ
looks good.

I bet you it sounds good too!

(i enjoy my quiet car more!)
i apologize for not answering sooner i wasn't ignoring you or anything like that just so you know. but yes the sound is great and far quieter than before. if i wanted to i could have also added a resonated exhaust tip and quited it a bit more or a regular tip and pointed it down. both would have done the job but i don't care for exhaust tip so i didn't.

i'll have some more pics some of some changes i've made in the last few weeks. i can't say that they are improvments becuase they are hopefuly only temerary.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

i believe it was labor day when i finally decided that i was tiered of the grey primer and though i should do something about it. i painted the frond fenders and bumper the closest shade of grey that i could find. the hood, headlight covers and roof are black. the front seats are now black and the carpet has been vacumed. the msd ignition has yet to be wired in because i'vwe been busy and lazy at the same time. i'll post pics this weekedned.

maybe.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Contributing Member

nice get it done bro

Quick Reply: the little engine that could