Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Popping noises from front of S14 afer installing coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:16 PM

Popping noises from front of S14 afer installing coilovers

So I just installed some Megan street coilovers, and something in the front is making all sorts of noise. First I noticed a bad popping noise when I turned the wheel. It sounds something metal is hitting on something else. Or maybe spring noise. It does it when I turn the wheel from dead center in either direction, and it only does it in one spot, then when you hit that spot again on the way back in makes it again. Thought maybe I over- or under-tightened something, but I checked and it's fine. Then I noticed another noise...this one sounds like something is loose and is rattling, and only happens when I go over bumps. It's really bad with the windows down, but inaudible with the windows up. Again, everything is tight. And the last, which is also the worst by far...whenever I turn the wheel to the right, at around 40MPH or higher, it makes a really loud repetitive popping noise, almost like a machine gun. It's so bad that I thought I had a flat tire at first. My dad suggested maybe the wheel bearing is going out. I sure hope not. See, this what I was afraid was going to happen. Any suggestions?

Edit: Also, I installed like new TC rods a few months ago. Also also, none of these noises happened until after I put the coilovers on. But it's such an easy install, I don't think I did anything wrong.

Last edited by Alteus; 05-05-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Contributing Member

check ball joints?
Old 05-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Contributing Member

also on the coil overs did you set them right? you cant just pull them out of the box and slap em on. well heres a link that will eplain better then i can with pic's

http://garage.projectraine.com/
Old 05-06-2007, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

lol this used to happen to me when i cut my springs the first time. i had put the left shock on the right and the right shock and the left and they were rubbing against the strut tower wall when id turn. i dunno mabey check that out.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:01 AM

yeah that maybe it but the top part on coils dont move like stock shocks. so idk.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:37 AM

Did you set the spring load???? your perches might be loose, take off your wheels and double check them.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:20 AM

It could be a ball joint I suppose. Although that first popping noise has mostly gone away. I didn't put any preload on the springs, because I remember reading somewhere (either on here or on nico) that someone asked megan about that, and they said they recommend no spring preload, just make sure that there's no gap between the perch and the spring. So that's what I did. I also know that the coilovers are on the correct sides; there's only one proper way for the brake lines to fit in. The perches are not loose; I checked. Nothing is loose...anymore. That rapid popping noise when turning to the right was because the front right wheel wasn't on tight. Not sure how that happened, as I know I tightened it down. I guess it wasn't tight enough. That went away. In fact all noise is for the most part gone. The only one that is left is the one coming from the front left wheel, where it sounds like metal rattling. I will check the spring on that wheel again to make sure there's no slippage.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Some coilovers are touchy about how they sit in place. The strut / shock whatever it is (I cant think right now) maybe out of alignment / place when you lowered the car back down. Lift it back up and then check the position of the strut / shock. Usually the popping noise comes from a shock / strut out of place.