Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Really weird Ebrake problem - need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 03:16 AM
Contributing Member

Really weird Ebrake problem - need suggestions

OKay... so I've been trying to figure this one out for awhile now:

- Ebrake seemed a little weak when I first bought the car.
- Changed to new pads and rotors, adjusted ebrake handle nut
- If I pull the ebrake up (way up), only the left side locks. The right side still spins
- Read stuff about "Stretched cables" - replaced right side cable with new OEM part
- Had to readjust ebrake nut; now ebrake "locks" at normal height
- lifted the car - left side locks, the right side STILL spins.

I looked at the right side brake and it looks like the ebrake lever thing is moving when the Ebrake handle is pulled. Another weird observation: underneath the center of the car, where the 2-into-1 splitter thing is, with the Ebrake down the two rear ebrake cables are at an even spacing.

With the Ebrake up, the RIGHT SIDE of the splitter thing gets pulled closer to the front of the car than the left (try to picture it in your head). It's as if the front ebrake cable is pulling on the splitter thing at a point other than center. In other words, by looking at the splitter with the Ebrake up, the right side cable looks to be being pulled more than the left.

Problem is, even if the right side cable looks to be tighter than the left, it's still the LEFT that locks, and the right side STILL SPINS.

WTF. I don't want to drop another $45 for a new left side cable until I can be sire that the problem lies there.

What doesn't make sense is, the ebrake handle gets tighter at a lower point, and the right cable is brand new (thus not stretched) so you would figure that it would lock the right caliper before the left side locks. Add to that the observation that the right cable looks like it's being pulled more (due to the orientation of the splitter thing) and yet the right brake itself isn't locking at all.

This one's been bugging me since I got the car, and I get paranoid everytime I park anywhere with an incline in fear that the left brake (the only one that locks with the Ebrake) will give one day and my car will go rolling down into something.

Any ideas?