Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Tein Coilover setup questions..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 03:45 PM

Tein Coilover setup questions..

Hey. I'm looking into buying some new coilovers because the ones i have, well, im not really happy with. I'd like to get some Tein's. What does the presence of the Pillow mounts do? I noticed the Flex's come with them, but the HA's and SS's dont. Can I get my car aligned if i have the pillows? Also, if i get Flex's..does it come with the EDFC? Is the EDFC worth the money? I dont race my car very often, ive never taken it to a corner-carving track, but I like having fun out on back roads near my house. As car and driver would say, im looking for a good "7/10th's driving" suspension. I was also looking into RS*R's I-shock system. Although, i cant find prices or app. charts.

Last edited by kade4me; 07-08-2003 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

not 100% sure im i belive the pillow mounts is to adjust the camber..the angle its at. Once again not sure
Old 07-08-2003, 07:52 PM

Well, ive realized that I already have coilovers and its not worth spending $1500 on something i already have (more or less). I'll get some pillows and reseat my springs correctly so they stop coming undone. I hate not having any idea what to spend my money on. Lol.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by kade4me
I hate not having any idea what to spend my money on. Lol.
i know.....
Old 07-08-2003, 09:09 PM

I just wish i had cash to spend money on
Old 07-08-2003, 09:27 PM

the pillow mounts get rid of the plastic part right above the coilover. what it does is make the suspension tighter when you turn. the front ones generally have a camber adjustment screw so that you can turn in or out. my friends has JIC on his car and he is able to turn in/out about 1.5degrees.

btw what do you have? 1600 is alot so i am thinking you should have some good coils.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:49 PM

I dont have a $1500 coilover setup, thats how much the Tein Flex system costs. I have KYB AGX with Ground Control coils. They're okay, but im going to buy some HKS pillows.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:55 PM

agx w/ ground control coilovers.....ugh...sounds alot like my $950 tanabe sustec pro ss coilovers.....well.....least i have a "helper spring" DAMNIT>...im so upset at my purchase....damn my impulsive buying....shoulda dished out some more dough and got the flex FLUCK...
Old 07-09-2003, 03:39 AM
Contributing Member

You can install the coils with the front plates set at zero and the rears are ok because you can't adjust them.

Take your car to an alignment shop when you are done with the install and have found the drop you want.

The shop will be able to get your car to zero degrees camber using the stock adjustment bolts. I left my fronts at zero and my rears at -2 degrees. I can change the fronts to what I want using the camber plates.

This is also paired with your drop. If you dump it get ready for adjustable arms.

Also get ready to be friendly with the alignment guy.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:41 AM

well, my coilovers are already installed and all. My car is really really low. I'd like to raise it a little, but it looks so good sitting so low. My alignment is really bad. I work at a tire place, so i get tires for really cheap, but still. My alignment changes all the time. After a nice, spirted drive through the turns, it'll be all over the road when i let go of the wheel, and other times, it'll be straight as an arrow. Is getting the pillows worth the $375? I need an air fuel controller too. Also, some strut tower bars. However, money isnt flowing as much as id like it to. Lol.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by kade4me
well, my coilovers are already installed and all. My car is really really low. I'd like to raise it a little, but it looks so good sitting so low. My alignment is really bad. I work at a tire place, so i get tires for really cheap, but still. My alignment changes all the time. After a nice, spirted drive through the turns, it'll be all over the road when i let go of the wheel, and other times, it'll be straight as an arrow. Is getting the pillows worth the $375? I need an air fuel controller too. Also, some strut tower bars. However, money isnt flowing as much as id like it to. Lol.
Get the camber plates. The pillowball rears are just a stiffener not a true tool.

I don't know about the strut bars. I don't have any yet so I don't know the positive gains they give. I do have a rxb and that **** rocks.

Get the a/f controller. Your car will not be too much fun if it aint running. Bars, plates or not.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:18 AM

Get some strut bars also. I don't have any on my 240 yet. (only had it 2 weeks) But I've had some on both of my civic's and on my integra and they help out alot if you buy some good ones.