Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 04:11 PM

Engine Rebuild

So I'm building myself a KA-T and I got everything torn down and ready to goto the machine shop soon. However, I have some questions.

1. While I was tearing the engine apart I realized I need to replace every hose... so should I goto a Nissan dealership and tell them I need all the hoses for the engine or is there another option?

2. I may have misplaced 2 of the washer type things which the valve springs sit on in the head. What the hell is the name of these damn things, I can't seem to think of it...

3. As to machine work. I'm getting all the surfaces squared up. The cylinders bored and honed to accept some oversized pistons. Crankshaft and camshafts polished, cranshaft balanced and the mains align honed. I'm getting new pistons (Arias or Supertech) and Crower rods, do I need to get the rotating assembly balanced? Is there anything else I'm missing that I need to get done at the machine shop?

4. My exhaust studs are kinda beat up, I remember someone somewhere saying they ARPs to replace theirs.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:53 PM

1. It may be cheaper to get tubing in the right diameter and just cut to lenght as needed, you'll need to investigate cost of both though.

2. I think your talking about retainers, i think (anyone feel free to help me on that one).

3. Balancing will help if you can afford it. You got nearly everything but you didn't mention valve seats, that is removing some of the materiel around where the valve head touches the cylinder head, improving flow of gases.

4. Use ARP studs everywhere you can, I don't know how much boost your gonna push but you'll want main studs and head studs at the very least, as well as the bolts on the end of the rods (if crower doesn't supply bolts as good as ARP, I wouldn't know).
Old 03-07-2006, 09:28 PM

I neglected to mention I'm going to resurface the valves and valve seats myself. Ummm... not the retainers the like steel washers that go in the head and the vavle spring sits on top of them so they don't start screwing in the head. The Crower rods come with bolts that I think are as good as the ARP rods bolts. OH I got the ARP main and head studs on the way so I can take over to the machine shop as soon as they show up.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:43 PM

ok well the only thing i can think of is valve seats then.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:07 PM

Here are the component names

6: Shim
7: Valve lifter
8: Valve cotter
9: Sprint retainer
10: Valve spring
11: Spring seat
12: Valve

which part is it?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:16 PM

Spring Seat, that's the one. Wow I feel like a moron. What size are the header studs (length, width, thread) ?

Oh yeah... what's the difference between the 60k and 120k timing kits Nissan makes? How can I tell if my timing kit is in good shape? I know I gotta replace the guides and make sure to get the new guide bolts, anything else that is a must?

Last edited by GBorrelli; 03-09-2006 at 12:03 PM.