Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

Risk of KA24ET???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

DEs are better in the higher end than the E. Es however have a broader torque band than the DE.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:38 PM

O.o thanks artic! i've needed that bit o' information!
Old 09-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

No problemo!
Old 10-02-2004, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Texas240
well, if you do it wrong it'll explode.
and it's best to re-build your engine before you turbo it, so it'll be ready for higher compression, though i hear you can run up to 7psi w/o it.
An SR? you have to be joking. why would i trade a 2.4 cid engine for a 2.0-2.2 engine? they make less power AND less torque... you can't put as many psi into them either. so why would i want it? b/c it's JDM?? hells no. the guy asked for advice b/c that's what he wants to do. don' rip on his choice
DUDE! do not dis the sr20det. who gives a **** about liter size! the Sr20 will smoke a ka-t right off the freaking line man! those sr20 comes with like stock hp 205 and torque stock is like 205. so yeah u say they have no torque bull ****!.... and the SR20 motor has a lot more aftermarket parts then the KA. so waste your time and money on the rebuilt ka-t engine and race someone with a SR20 motor that is not stock and has tons of aftermarket parts on it.. like bigger turbo and junk like that.. and go race it... watch the souped up sr20 motor with aftermarket parts burn your re-built ka-t.... sorry to sound like an ******* but its true
Old 10-02-2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by 240sx 5spd
DUDE! do not dis the sr20det. who gives a **** about liter size! the Sr20 will smoke a ka-t right off the freaking line man! those sr20 comes with like stock hp 205 and torque stock is like 205. so yeah u say they have no torque bull ****!.... and the SR20 motor has a lot more aftermarket parts then the KA. so waste your time and money on the rebuilt ka-t engine and race someone with a SR20 motor that is not stock and has tons of aftermarket parts on it.. like bigger turbo and junk like that.. and go race it... watch the souped up sr20 motor with aftermarket parts burn your re-built ka-t.... sorry to sound like an ******* but its true
Let me say this in an educated way...

The SR is FAR superior to the KA24E-T. Much stronger internals, and it is made for turbo. You will ALWAYS have more problems putting a turbo on a non-turbo engine, than upping the boost on a turbo engine. Plus the KA24E is SOHC, not much performance potential there. Yes, you can get some decent numbers out of it. But put the same $$$ into an SR and you will destroy a KA24E-T.

How can you say they make less power? Thats just ignorant.

The KA24DE-T is a better combo. Its not for me, but its deff a good alternative to an SR motor swap.

Sorry to be doggin on the SOHC turbo guys...but the engine is not made for performance.

Now as for the original poster...
buy a DOHC engine or an SR. It looks like you have some more research to do before you go and turbo your car. Lots of things break if you do it wrong. And yes, you will probably want to rebuild the motor. One major thing that you need to watch for when turboing is fuel control. Make sure you upgrade your fuel pump, and your probably gonna wanna upgrade the injectors as well. Then you are gonna need a fuel controller such as the S-AFC. If you dont have proper fuel control then you will get detonation and blow up the motor (in several different ways). First go for a low boost set-up, around 5-7 psi should be good. Then raise it from there as you learn the motor. There is lots of information out there. Do some searching on forum boards, and google. Its not the best idea to just ask "n00b" questions like this, you arent going to get all the information you need.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by tErbo b00st
Let me say this in an educated way...

The SR is FAR superior to the KA24E-T. Much stronger internals, and it is made for turbo. You will ALWAYS have more problems putting a turbo on a non-turbo engine, than upping the boost on a turbo engine. Plus the KA24E is SOHC, not much performance potential there. Yes, you can get some decent numbers out of it. But put the same $$$ into an SR and you will destroy a KA24E-T.

How can you say they make less power? Thats just ignorant.

The KA24DE-T is a better combo. Its not for me, but its deff a good alternative to an SR motor swap.

Sorry to be doggin on the SOHC turbo guys...but the engine is not made for performance.

Now as for the original poster...
buy a DOHC engine or an SR. It looks like you have some more research to do before you go and turbo your car. Lots of things break if you do it wrong. And yes, you will probably want to rebuild the motor. One major thing that you need to watch for when turboing is fuel control. Make sure you upgrade your fuel pump, and your probably gonna wanna upgrade the injectors as well. Then you are gonna need a fuel controller such as the S-AFC. If you dont have proper fuel control then you will get detonation and blow up the motor (in several different ways). First go for a low boost set-up, around 5-7 psi should be good. Then raise it from there as you learn the motor. There is lots of information out there. Do some searching on forum boards, and google. Its not the best idea to just ask "n00b" questions like this, you arent going to get all the information you need.
thanks dude i'm glad someone see's where i'm coming from! kad24de-t is not worth all the extra money/work/and time
Old 10-12-2004, 04:20 PM

except that the KA is a closed deck iron block that will hold lots of boost. You can buy rods and pistons for not alot. From what I have been told from several tuning shops is that the SRs tend to be pretty shot and need a rebuild when they get here plus all the little things it takes to make them work. I would much rather boost a burly KA, save some dough and have big boost potential.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:30 PM

IMO...I would buy a DE....you can usually find one for around 500 bucks with tranny and all. That will give you a more solid start than with the E. A DE turboed will handle about 350 whp on stock internals. So what I myself am saving to do right now is take my DE out, put in new rods/pistons, ARP rod bolts/wrist pins/head studs, and then do the valve train. That way, you could probably do about 450-500 whp, and you could up your rev limiter to 8k so you have another 1000 rpm of usable power to take more advantage of the power the turbo is going to add. But dont forget about the fuel system and the drivetrain, because if you dont take care of your fuel, you might detonate and blow something. And if you don't do anything to the drivetrain and try to put that much power to the ground, you will just break something. Thats my 2cents
Old 10-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

DOn't bring in prices into here, because it costs money to get the engine/clip and money to install it. SO basically you're paying for the engine/installation and the upgrades for it, while on the KA you can customize your own system. Both engine plans will come out to about the same price. As for power, some guy on the NICO forums is running mid 11s on stock internals on his KA-T using the AEM EMS, so don't tell me the SR stock will smoke the KA-T on stock internals, cause that's just bs. Now please, dont hate on the KA-T. It's a nissan engine, 'nuff said.

Ownage

Last edited by ArticDragon; 10-18-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

what to do what to do.....I've got more research to do before I decide which setup I want. Putting a turbo in a nonturbo motor vs a motor equipped with a stock turbo.....this is a good one.
To whoever said it's gonna cost money for shops to swap motors.....why not learn to do it yourself or get other people (friends or car people who are willing to help with the swap) and do it the cheaper way? I know a fe w people who have offered their help to me and I just barely bought my s13 and I'm not planning on a swap anytime soon. They offered simply because they enjoy working on cars.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:13 PM

Thx for the info ALL (especially tErbo, Artic, & Tex), we need more responses like that .
My goal isn't to be the fastest 240 in the world or anything. I wanna build the most stable sohc turboed KA24E. I will continue on my researches on a KA24ET.

Last edited by Sirikool; 10-25-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:50 AM

Both engines have their good points and bad. The sr motors a re alum. block sleeved with stronger pistons and rods than the ka series motors. The ka's have a beefy iron block are designed to offer a fat bottom torque curve. Either engine is a good choice for turbo charging but bear in mind that niether is going to be cheap to do. If you want a fast fun street car to take to the track for a giggle every now and then you will want have somewhere in the area of 350 whp. If you go the sr route your looking at about 2400 for a front clip (red top), 800-2400 for a turbo upgrade, 600 for fuel upgrades, 600-1,000 for a new intercooler and piping) and 800-1600 for a new set of cams (the cams are not nessary but will help you get there). If you go the ka route 1,000-2,400 for an upgraded bottom end (some say you need it others don't) price varies from shop to shop and depending on how far you want them to go. 500-2400 for a turbo (once again this depends on manufacture ball bearing or bushing and new or used). 600-1,000 for an intercooler ( I kow one can be had for cheaper). 600 for fuel upgrades. 275-600 for a manifold and down pipe new or used. 200-300 for piping.

So in price for an sr to make 350 you are looking at about 8,000 for one that is well built and you buy the most expensive parts avail. 4400 if you get some deals and buy cheaper parts in cost and skip the cams. The only problem with going this route you are pretty much at your limit in terms of what else you can do without getting into the block and bottom end. I really recommend having the block sleaved and replacing the rods and pistons If you go higher in hp.

For a ka build if you go the most expensive route you are looking at about 7,300. If you go that far with a build you can get a lot more that just 350 whp (like closer to 450) by turning up the boost and fuel. If you go the cheaper route or do everything yourself you will only need to spend about 3175 and will still smoke an sr powered 240 that is left stock.

In terms of power output both will be about the same. With the work put into the ka it will be more reliable as long as you are understanding about its limitations. The ka has a nasty rod to piston diameter ratio thus making it more prone to failure at high engine speeds (the main reason I left replacement cams off the list, revving the ka to 8000 is nuts in my opinion). The piston speeds in a ka are very high for an engine with 2.4 liter output.

The choice is yours. In terms of the are about the and and keep in mind that I left dyno tuning and any ecu mods out just because that would add too much to an already long post.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:57 PM

*claps*
Old 11-20-2004, 07:50 PM

if the compression is 8.6 ( ka24e) would it be reasonable to swap the connecting rods into a KA24DE?? you know instead of buying newones??
Old 11-25-2004, 01:27 AM

wow this is funny this guy loves his sr 240sx 5sp hmm lets think about this one swaping in sr you should run 15 highest maybe 14's if your lucky..that is what i have read when you run a turbo on your sohc you should be running like 13.7 at 7.5 puonds of boost dont belive me here is a link http://www.**********/links/installs/turbo240/240sx.htm that is just putting it on there and minor tunning just imagine with full tunnig and mods...and realnissan.com had sohc running 9's(toyota starlet) of course built to sh*t and nos but that is the really nice yes dohc is better for turbo (tunning wise) but dont knock the sohc...and as far as the line..??? HAHA that is hilarious sr beating a ka24e+not possible hp keeps you going down the track torque gets you there sr=no tq ka=mad tq..so get yo facts straight before you go around posting things..oh yeah turbo'd ka24e=3000 maybe..?<<<(est) sr swap=4500<<(est) cheaper faster but i will give the sr its props you can get more hp with less money but unless you are just tryin to kill everyone turboing the ka is great 13 is enough to shut almost everyone talking up..and with a lil more money you couls shut up evryone..KA24E-T that is what im goign to be in about 3 months...sry for the long post

Quick Reply: Risk of KA24ET???