Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

Risk of KA24ET???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 07:15 PM

Don't waste money on the KA.. espically the single cam.. My friend had a fully built ka24e with a t3 garret and a Stock SR the sr is way better espically money wise the sr will be a lot cheaper.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

You smoking? If that KA was fully built it'd hand a semi-modded SR's *** to it.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:41 AM

I've been doing a little reasearch in this area also. If you are going to "build" a motor the Ka would be the cheaper of the two as many have already said...locating a low milage sr yada yada, with the ka24de you get the benefits of an already over built lower end (forged crank and all). i would highly recommend changing the pistons to a lower compression set to reach higher hp numbers. changing the injectors, getting a metal head gasket, new valve springs would be things that should be changed to do this job right. with all the gear you'll be needing you could do this whole job for about 2000 bucks (Im a big ebayer and have been doing a little reasearch) and thats including an e-manage system($250) to manage the fuel (also noting that you do most of the work on your own) for that price i would rather go the KA way... just my .02 im a noob to this forum so my opion doesnt mean much yet...
Old 12-08-2004, 11:23 AM

your opnion matters a lot if you did the research, which it seems like you did.

Mad props to the noob doing research and not just asking
Old 12-09-2004, 10:33 AM

When deciding on the e or the de you have to make up your mind on if you want a lil more hp or a lil more torque. the e is slightly bit torquier and the de can generate more hp. there are also more aftermarket parts available for the de but the e is catching up. It also depends if you have a 1st gen 240 or a 2nd gen 240 and what motor is in the car stock because why swap in a de when you already have a capable e in the bay.
Also in stock form at 7psi the de puts down over 225 hp, while the sr is 170hp at 7psi. Why in the hell would you want the sr when it is more expensive and slower? The only advantage the sr has is in the tranny because the lower gears are closer together thus giving it the advantage on drifting but the ka more than makes up for it with raw power. Oh yeah you could also brag to all your little high school friends that you have a sr20, and they'll all say wooooowwww.
Also big props to the noob. See moderators-noobs do know more than how to pick their noses
Old 12-21-2004, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by tErbo b00st
Let me say this in an educated way...

The SR is FAR superior to the KA24E-T. Much stronger internals, and it is made for turbo. You will ALWAYS have more problems putting a turbo on a non-turbo engine, than upping the boost on a turbo engine. Plus the KA24E is SOHC, not much performance potential there. Yes, you can get some decent numbers out of it. But put the same $$$ into an SR and you will destroy a KA24E-T.

How can you say they make less power? Thats just ignorant.

The KA24DE-T is a better combo. Its not for me, but its deff a good alternative to an SR motor swap.

Sorry to be doggin on the SOHC turbo guys...but the engine is not made for performance.

Now as for the original poster...
buy a DOHC engine or an SR. It looks like you have some more research to do before you go and turbo your car. Lots of things break if you do it wrong. And yes, you will probably want to rebuild the motor. One major thing that you need to watch for when turboing is fuel control. Make sure you upgrade your fuel pump, and your probably gonna wanna upgrade the injectors as well. Then you are gonna need a fuel controller such as the S-AFC. If you dont have proper fuel control then you will get detonation and blow up the motor (in several different ways). First go for a low boost set-up, around 5-7 psi should be good. Then raise it from there as you learn the motor. There is lots of information out there. Do some searching on forum boards, and google. Its not the best idea to just ask "n00b" questions like this, you arent going to get all the information you need.
Actually if you do your research correctly the KA is a cast iron block, the internal parts of the e and de are relatively the same accept weither it is 2 or 1 cam, or dual or single timing chain. The difference between the two particular heads slightly makes the difference in compression between the two engines. The internal parts of the KA can achieve up to 400HP potential with stock rod bearings, rod, pistons and crank. The KA also produces much more HP with less RPM rev than the SR. Do to the massive size of the crank shaft, Bore and stroke of the KA is a whopping 89mm(3.504"), 96mm(3.78"). While the "Pee Wee" SR bore and stroke is 86mm(3.386"), 86mm(3.386"). You can see the true difference between the engines in NA form.
Believe it or not the SOHC is just slightly shy of 10 donkey's when compared to the DE. But internally the single head is built the same as the de with the same internal block parts. The exhaust valves on the E are built slightly larger to obtain more naturall aspiration & exhaust flow,"also due to it having 4 less valves". This is also a plus for advantages in Torque curve. With a little valve spring work you can get the KA's e, and de high reving to 8200RPM this will add to some lost HP. If you machine the crank for better balancing you can rev it almost to 8600 RPM. The springs and valves "accept for the exhaust" of both the e and de are the same and follow the same technology as Datsun L series heads. As does the crank shaft which is almost compared to that of the L18 and L20b crank shafts" still all different in stoke but carry much of the same geometry".
In my opinion math speaks for it's self.Displacement, bore and stroke are the true achievers of greater HP gains. It is ludacriss to compare a 2.4 to a 2.0. Take Subaru for example, they obviosly know a thing or 2 about displacement. Why would they switch from a 2.0 , then to a 2.2 240HP turbo in 1998, and then finally to a 2.4 280HP turbo in the imprezza's? It's simple greater displacement, more PSI, equals more HP, you silly guy's. Bickering over displacement is retarded. A 2.4 litre turbo will spank a 2.0 litre turbo like it is it's daddy.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-21-2004 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:14 PM

QUOTE:Let me say this in an educated way...
The SR is FAR superior to the KA24E-T. Much stronger internals, and it is made for turbo. You will ALWAYS have more problems putting a turbo on a non-turbo engine, than upping the boost on a turbo engine.

You are wrong, all engines are designed in a NA format. The SR was made for years before it bacame turbo charged. What specific problems would I run into with the KA? I think you need to read a book on thermaldynamic's and turbo's, before you talk about boosting and PSI on the displacement of an engine. I think you are completely misunderstood. No offense but high school and college taught me to read, and anylize before I open my mouth.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-22-2004 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by Baloo
wow this is funny this guy loves his sr 240sx 5sp hmm lets think about this one swaping in sr you should run 15 highest maybe 14's if your lucky..that is what i have read when you run a turbo on your sohc you should be running like 13.7 at 7.5 puonds of boost dont belive me here is a link http://www.**********/links/installs/turbo240/240sx.htm that is just putting it on there and minor tunning just imagine with full tunnig and mods...and realnissan.com had sohc running 9's(toyota starlet) of course built to sh*t and nos but that is the really nice yes dohc is better for turbo (tunning wise) but dont knock the sohc...and as far as the line..??? HAHA that is hilarious sr beating a ka24e+not possible hp keeps you going down the track torque gets you there sr=no tq ka=mad tq..so get yo facts straight before you go around posting things..oh yeah turbo'd ka24e=3000 maybe..?<<<(est) sr swap=4500<<(est) cheaper faster but i will give the sr its props you can get more hp with less money but unless you are just tryin to kill everyone turboing the ka is great 13 is enough to shut almost everyone talking up..and with a lil more money you couls shut up evryone..KA24E-T that is what im goign to be in about 3 months...sry for the long post

Baloo your research speaks for it self. I am speechless and read the article. All I can say is your big pimpin' in my book player. If you guys want a cheap turbo set up read my post on converting the z18et turbo manifold and turbo to the KA24e. http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...threadid=18447

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-22-2004 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by BigVinnie
QUOTE:Let me say this in an educated way...
The SR is FAR superior to the KA24E-T. Much stronger internals, and it is made for turbo. You will ALWAYS have more problems putting a turbo on a non-turbo engine, than upping the boost on a turbo engine.

You are wrong, all engines are designed in a NA format. The SR was made for years before it bacame turbo charged. What specific problems would I run into with the KA? I think you need to read a book on thermodynamics and turbo's, before you talk about boosting and PSI on the displacement of an engine. I think you are completely misunderstood. No offense but high school and college taught me to read, and anylize before I open my mouth.
You want me to do my research and read about thermodynamice? I'm an eningeer at University of Iowa, so thanks I already did my research.

I know the SR comes in NA format, and mabye the SR was first NA, but it still does not change the fact that the SR20DET was made for turbo. It has oil squirters, and a compression ratio made for turbo. Not to mention all the small things the engineers change when they are doing R&D. Things you cant even think about.

And about the Suburu comment. We all know Displacment is better. I'm not even trying to argue that. But we all know the only replacement for displacement is technology. Which would be engine design and tuning. you can not tune a SOHC car as well as you could a DOHC car. Simple as that. The internals may be strong, and the head design may be good, but two cams will always be superior to one.

And to let you know, the Subaru 2.0 engine is one of their best engines. Which goes to show you, displacement isnt everything. The Legacy 2.2 engine is just as good. But the STi's 2.5 liter sucks ***.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:43 PM

tErbo bOOst I must say once again read a book on thermaldynamic's, you didn't even spell the word right. If you are an engineer of any kind you would understand the importance of grammar, especially if you are going to a prestigeous University such as that.
Obviously you didn't read the post prior to me clowning you. The DE is nothing more than the technology of the e all component's are the same, accept 4 less valves,"Great for higher Torque". Big deal if Subaru has variable valve tuning, you can only adjust the pitch of any cam in so many degrees. If you are an engineer you should know this, you wont be pushing any more than 10 more donkey's no matter if it is VCET, VTEC, or VVTI. If that is as far as the technology goes, putting a blower on a 2.4 litre with non variable valve timing wont make that much of a difference. Like I said read a book on thermaldynamic's.
I am not trying to call you a liar, but you are proving that to everyone else on this post.
I think people that own Ford Mustangs or the old Chevy Corvetts would be pretty P.O'd if you said, "Because you have a single over head cam you do not have a performance head". Some of the best performance cars today have SOHC technology, and have more torque than DOHC engines.
What is all this talk of calling the KA24e and de truck engines. When you look at a chevy or a ford they produce the same blocks for their car's and truck's. Why is the KA being singled out as only a truck engine? I really don't get it?

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-22-2004 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by tErbo b00st
But the STi's 2.5 liter sucks ***.
If that is your point.................. Why is it in Japan the STI,EVO, and the SKYLINE RB26det all major competitors? Especially if you call it crap. I think your statement was doo doo.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:13 PM

there is no replacement for displacement
Old 12-22-2004, 11:32 PM

the sti is not made in japan only the wrx. it has the ej20 2.0 ltr motor not the ej25 found in the sti's sold only in the states. the imprezza RS's came with a non turbo 2.5 that subaru quickly realized the potential and converted that motor to the great motor that you find in todays sti's.
Back on the subject. Why are people arguing about this? Both motors are great. choising either would be a great decision. There is only one way to settle this...take it too the streets OOPS! I mean the track.
Street Racing's Bad MMMMKay.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:40 PM

In my opinion there was never an arguement to be argued.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by BigVinnie
tErbo bOOst I must say once again read a book on thermaldynamic's, you didn't even spell the word right. If you are an engineer of any kind you would understand the importance of grammar, especially if you are going to a prestigeous University such as that.
Obvisously u dont know that engineers are notorious for poor grammar. sorry I didnt spell it right.

Originally posted by BigVinnie Big deal if Subaru has variable valve tuning, you can only adjust the pitch of any cam in so many degrees.
Where did I even mention VVTI, or variably valve timing? I know it does not make much of a difference. Hence why I have a redtop, and not an S14/15 black top.

Originally posted by BigVinnie I think people that own Ford Mustangs or the old Chevy Corvetts would be pretty P.O'd if you said, "Because you have a single over head cam you do not have a performance head". Some of the best performance cars today have SOHC technology, and have more torque than DOHC engines.
I did not say that you can not have perofrmance w/ SOHC. But if you took any SOHC engine and made it DOHC it would be better. Simple thermodynamics, more flow = less wasted work = more power. I see torque as a byproduct, but I guess that is just opinion. I would rather have high reving power, as opposed to low end torque, but that is preference I guess. While lowend torque is nice around town, horsepower will win in a race (as long as you have some torque, go home hondas ), wether it is drag, or road racing.

Originally posted by BigVinnie If that is your point.................. Why is it in Japan the STI,EVO, and the SKYLINE RB26det all major competitors? Especially if you call it crap. I think your statement was doo doo.
The STi in Japan comes w/ the 2.0 litre, which is a far superior engine in terms of flow and strength. The EJ25T only comes in the USDM STi.

Originally posted by Eyeceman2000 the sti is not made in japan only the wrx. it has the ej20 2.0 ltr motor not the ej25 found in the sti's sold only in the states.
The STi IS made in Japan, however as stated above it comes w/ the EJ20, not the EJ25.

In closing let me say this. The SR and KA24DE are both arguable the better choice. I see both sides to both arguments. I personally went w/ the SR, but the KA24DET is a valuable engine.

The KA24E however is the lesser of the two. While a turbo can be put on the engine, the power potential just isnt there like it is w/ the DE. In fact I asked David from tougefactory if it was worth putting a turbo on the E (for my friend) and he laughed at the idea, and said atleast get DE.

Any arguments you would like me to explain in great detail? Cause I'm sick of debating which engines are better.

Quick Reply: Risk of KA24ET???