Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

SR DIY Intercooler/Radiator Sprayer write-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 04:20 PM

Thumbs up SR DIY Intercooler/Radiator Sprayer write-up

This is my first writeup so be nice. I decided to do this because my stock intercooler was getting very heatsoaked after boosting back to back. On a rating of 1-10 on the install difficulty I rate it a 2.

I saw this thing in home depot for $7.99 and I had to have it.
The outdoor cooling system is neat because it had the best nozzles I could find. They are made of brass and spray a very fine mist. It comes with the 1/4" hose and it had alligator clips which makes attaching it to the car very easy.
Jets

Clips

Here we go:

Go to Home Depot or whatever hardware store you have in your area and pick up these items.
-Orbit portable outdoor cooling 1/4" misting system. (makes installation very easy)
-Dripmaster 1/4" Barbed shut off valves (2 in package)
-Raindrip 1/4" double barbed connector (bag of 10)
-raindrip 1/4" double barbed Tee (bag of 10)
-zip ties assorted
-automatic anti-siphon valve (from most fish stores, about 1/4" in diameter)

Step 1: Once you got all of the stuff listed you are ready to begin. You need to get at the bottom of the windshield washer resevoir. Start by removing the passenger side plastic wheel well. Mine was already cut out by previous owner so I bypassed this step.
You should see the resevoir as well as the pump with the 1/4" line coming off of it. Cut the line about 3" after the pump and put a Tee connecter there.

Step 2: Bust out the portable cooling misting system and cut off the faucet attachment, you won't be needing that.
With the hood open feed the 1/4" line from in front of the radiator down to the resevoir. Connect the line to the tee and secure all lines with zip ties and attach them so the lines are out of the way.
Step 3: You now want to get the hose up higher than the resevoir so you can attach the anti-siphon valve. This will keep the water from leaking out after you spray the IC. I put mine under the hood support in front of the radiator

Step 4: I wanted to spray my radiator as well as the intercooler so I ran the line on the front bumper support and using the supplied clips attached one spray nozzle on each side of the radiator support.

Step 5: After you attach the first two jets for the radiator you run the line down to the stock intercooler. Attach the line and jet on the bottom lip of the bumper pointing at the intercooler. You will have to cut off the rest of the line and attach the end plug from the very last jet onto the one for the intercooler.

Step 6: Now you have to attach the shut off valve. I put mine on the windshield sprayer fluid line by the wiper motor.
To turn off the fluid to the wipers all you have to do is turn the ****. Also, to keep the wipers from going crazy while you are spraying your intercooler disconnect the connector at the wiper motor.

Step 7: Fill up the fluid resevoir with distilled water, or a water/alcohol mix. This will help the water evaporate faster as well as keep the motor from getting calcium deposits. Enjoy!!

Initial impression:
I went on a few runs the other day while the weather was about 70 degrees. I let the IC heatsoak with a few hard pulls and felt a noticeable decrease in power. I sprayed the ic while cruising at 35mph for 30sec and then got on it again. Big difference!!! Heat soak was killing me with the stock IC. Now with the IC sprayer I can make more runs before heat soak really affects power. The radiator sprayer is even better!! After driving hard for about 20min I come home and hit the sprayer for 30 seconds. I hopped out put my hand on the radiator fins and It was actually cold!!

Problems:The anti-siphon valve must be pretty weak because it still allows fluid to slowly dribble out until empty. I need to find a better one of these or find a higher spot for the anti-siphon valve. Email me if you have any suggestions

Additional Info: For right now i am running the sprayer off of the wiper lever. Im looking at pressure switches to turn the sprayer on when boosting as well as making a circuit to let it run for a preset time after boosting. The other option you have is to run a manual switch to the pump.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:15 PM

sounds cool, I might be looking into something like this. boost solenoid would be really cool. there are plenty out there is stock cars, I know in several, not sure make or model, when the car boosts, a light goes on in the cab. this sensor could probably be retrofitted to this application.

good work
Old 06-09-2004, 01:01 PM

cool stuff im going to implement alot of these ideas to my own ideas
Old 06-09-2004, 04:04 PM

I found the controller I was looking for. It allows the sprayer to turn on based on throttle position. It also allows it to spray for a preset time after. It can be found at here http://www.autospeed.com/cgi-bin/bro...t=1003707457Im still looking for a better anti-siphon valve though.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:05 PM

I dont think the one you have now is doing anything though. if you picked it up at a fish store, the purpose is to stop flow backward into the pump, not stop it from leaking out. dont know exactly how to make this work right, but Ill think about it a bit
Old 06-10-2004, 05:14 PM

I flipped the direction of the check valve so it should work. Ive seen other valves but they take about 5psi before they crack. I dont know if the pump has that much pressure.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:25 AM

Great DIY! The check valve shouldn't let any water pass through if it is was facing the wrong way. If the leak is coming from the spyrayers it is because the windshield wiper pump is designed to force more water out than the garden spyrayers can push, so pressure is building up in your rubber hoses. You have a few options, go for a larger sprayer, a smaller pump, or a steel braided line. I personally wouldn't worry about a small leak after you spray. Unless your going to the tracks, it won't ruin your traction cause it would be dripping right in the middle.

Last edited by YamaDRFT; 06-12-2004 at 09:35 AM.