Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

swap and stall

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 12:26 AM

Question swap and stall

Ok, so here is the problem, or situation rather.

I have a 89 240 hatchback. I just put in a SR20DET with tranny, ECU, a new comp. clutch, new GReddy intercooler and blowoff valve.

Whenever I start it up, it hums just fine, however once I drive around for a bit it seems to try and stall out whenever i slow down for a red light or a stop sign the RPM's drop too low and it trys to stall out.

I've been asking around and the general idea is that my blow off valve needs to be tweaked up a bit. Also, it seems to me that perhaps my blow off valve is pushing out too much air messing up my Mass Airflow Sensor.

Any advice on this? Or perhaps parts to replace? Help!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

unless you are blowing off every time you are at idle, it isnt the bov, unless it is so loose its leaking -- not good. Check all your vaccum lines and that the MAF is in right,
Old 10-25-2005, 10:01 AM

Dont know if this applies to the SR20 but, i know the stock throttle cable has the nut adjustment on it. When the car is cold and just starts up the IAC valve is open more for a fast idle.... and once the car is warm is closed a bit if not alost all teh way to achieve a normal idle. could be malfunctioning... I know on my mustang and a chevy truck i worked on, after a cam swap the car did the same thing. There is actually a tsb for drilling a small hole in the throttle plate to allow a minumum amount of air into the engine at idle. i knwo you dont do that to these cars, but the situation sounds the same.... i would check the IAC valve and your throttle linkage as well as the vaccum lines.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:59 AM

your car is stalling because you didn't route the blow off valve back to the turbo......the mass air is reading all the air you are pushing through and when the blow the bov goes off..the mass air has already registered all that air in...so your ecu tells it to add more fuel which is causing your engine to stall....you need a savf2 or emanage to control that....you have to set the acceleration decceleration parameters in those.....hope this helps you out....