Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

Technical Q

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 08:57 PM
evo

Technical Q

Whats up everyone. Having some problems with a friends car, and i'm hoping to diagnose this.

The subject is an older style 240sx. It has a sr20 swap with a GT28rs turbo.

here's the story. A Black 240 was bought about 2 years ago and fitted with a used sr20 with the stock turbo. It was used fine for the 2 years with no problems at all, except the car was rusted to hell. So then a new body was purchased. Everything was swapped over to this new car, and it was fitted with a brand new gt28rs turbo and tubular manifold. Finally about 3 days ago the car rolled out of the shop and was started. The gas in it was about 2 years old, so anything over 10lbs of boost, it was breaking up bad. The gas was drained and a fresh pot of 93 octane was put in... problem persists. First I thought that this might be an air/fuel problem, but the turbo isn't too much bigger than the stocker. So in went a MAF from a 300z along with a fuel filter from a 300z. Still no change. All the lines are hooked up correctly just as they were. It's not a timing problem, as that hasn't been adjusted or played with at all. So, what I thought was maybe the plugs arn't gapped right? They are brand new NGK's and the shop that did the swap PROBABLY didn't gap them correctly. Anyone know what they are suppost to be gapped at? Any suggestions will help as I don't really know much about these cars, and he wants to race my evo pretty bad at the track tomarrow... Sorry for the long post, but any help will be appreciated!