Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Rear Speakers Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 01:08 PM

Rear Speakers Not Working

I want to thank everyone for the responses i got regarding my previous speaker problem, as it turned out, the reason the speakers would not work is because i did not have the remote hot wire hooked to the amp, once i did that the subs fired right up, however that was a few weeks ago, all was well until the other day when my four inside speakers stopped working, i removed the head unit and checked all the connections, still no inside speakers, just the amp and subs, while checking the connections for the umpteenth time i unplugged the rear speakers and the two front ones came on, when i replugged the rears they all went off, i did this a few times until finnally so frustrated i just left the rears unconnected and i am just running the fronts and the subs, any ideas from anyone out there as to what the problem might be, thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:42 PM

i think you have a shor circut in your rear spekers or the wires to the speaker are shorted or touching ground somewhere
Old 10-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Contributing Member

the speakers are most likley dead... replace them and run nuw wires to the head unit... this will cure the problem instantly... as i said in your other post one of em is grounding out...

get new speakers and try installing them if they work you know where the problem was if they still do not work run new speaker wires to the speakers... but chances are it is the speakers themselves...
Old 10-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Dead speakers shouldn't cut the whole system though. Like birgir said it's probably shorting or grounding out. If they're hooked up to the amp make sure nobody f-ed with em and reversed them or anything.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:00 PM

On some h/u if one speaker is shorted the h/u will turn cut the whole amp to protect it from over load same goes with all other amps
Old 10-10-2005, 03:03 AM

Take off each speaker and test them individually to make sure they are all functioning well. You can test them but simply connecting the positive and negative tabs to a regular home or portable stereo. If they all check out, check the wiring from the head unit to each speaker. It may be that on speaker is grounding out somewere but that really shouldn't affect all of your speakers. Rewire them if necessary. Another thing you can do is to disconnect your amp and start testing each channel from the beginning. How do you have your amp hooked up? Is it with RCA cables straight from the head unit or do you have the amp tapped into the rear speakers with the RCA converter?
Old 10-10-2005, 03:35 AM
Contributing Member

dead speakers can cut out the whole audio systems... i have seen it hundreds of times in the 14 years i have been involved in professional audio systems... if the voice coil inside of the speaker has melted and fused then it is like twisting both wires together...