Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

Driveshaft Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 05:36 PM

Driveshaft Removal

What is the best way to remove the bolts holding the driveshaft to the rear differential? I don't want to strip the bolts and nuts. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Driveshaft Removal

Originally posted by Ron_V
What is the best way to remove the bolts holding the driveshaft to the rear differential? I don't want to strip the bolts and nuts. Thanks.
regular socket set will do. We took apart a driveshaft that was on an 89 and it looked kind of rusted, but the nut came off with a simple tug of the socket wrench... just make sure you use the correct sie metric socket for the nut, and it should come off fine
Old 11-02-2004, 08:42 AM

Re: Re: Driveshaft Removal

Originally posted by l2aine
regular socket set will do. We took apart a driveshaft that was on an 89 and it looked kind of rusted, but the nut came off with a simple tug of the socket wrench... just make sure you use the correct sie metric socket for the nut, and it should come off fine
Thanks. Now do you need two wrenches? One to hold the bolt and the other to remove the nut? For some reason it is not budging. The driveshaft and differential are both off the car and trying to prevent it from turning is difficult enough. Any other pointers?
Old 11-02-2004, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Driveshaft Removal

Originally posted by Ron_V
Thanks. Now do you need two wrenches? One to hold the bolt and the other to remove the nut? For some reason it is not budging. The driveshaft and differential are both off the car and trying to prevent it from turning is difficult enough. Any other pointers?
When we took the nuts off, we used one socket wrench, and once it was loose we were able to use out fingers to remove the nuts. This was on the car though, so we had the leverage.

Hmm... since yours is off the car already, how about using two wrenches as a way to give you some leverage. How do I explain this...

look at the pic I attached. You might be able to get the driveshaft off this way.
Attached Thumbnails Driveshaft Removal-loosen.jpg  
Old 11-02-2004, 01:33 PM

How do you put a socket wrench on the bolt head. It does not fit on there. It hits part of the driveshaft. I will have to take a pix to show what I mean. I can use an "open" ended wrench, but afraid it will strip it.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:36 AM

just use the closed end of the wrench and it will work fine. once it gets loose you will have to hold the other side as well.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by carofchoice
just use the closed end of the wrench and it will work fine. once it gets loose you will have to hold the other side as well.
That's my problem. I cannot get the closed end of the socket completely over the bolt head. And definately cannot put it on the nut. I really need to take a pix so I can show what I mean.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

then use two wrenches instead of sockets.