Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

I swapped in the wrong Tranny :'( Now what?

Old 06-15-2007, 07:47 AM

Question I swapped in the wrong Tranny :'( Now what?

I've got a '90 KA24E SE manual that basically just gave up after 225,000 miles of abuse. Swapped the motor with a fresh KA24E ~80k miles, pulled old tranny (guide plates were toast and it was a pain to find first and second). From what I can tell, the Craigslist Transmission that I got was from a '93 KA24DE that had the single piece driveshaft(?), unlike the one on mine which comes off in two pieces.

Anyways, to make a long story short: I bolted the '93 tranny up to the block, after installing a new clutch kit of course. The bolt patterns matched, the cross member matched, but the driveshaft is about 1/2" too short to make a complete seal. I could have my old transmission rebuilt, but what I came in here to ask was: Will a single piece driveshaft off a ~'93 KA24DE work with my '90 SE? I'd rather not pull the transmission again.

Thanks!

Sean
Old 06-15-2007, 08:31 AM

Called a place, and they want ~$1,000 to rebuild, even with the tranny not attached to the car.

Could I possibly cut an aluminum plate using a CNC machine to add to the rear of the driveshaft to make it the length I require? I'd have to create new holes in the chassis where the driveshaft mounting bracket attaches. I really don't want to swap transmissions again when all I'm going to do is sell the car.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

I'm unsure about the fitment of the trannies, however if you have no choice I think the smartest way to go is to sell the tranny thats on, and get an E tranny. getting your crap tranny rebuilt is a waste of money since those trannies are a dime a dozen and a custom driveshaft is not worth the money either
Old 06-15-2007, 02:10 PM

the tranny is the same. the one peice fdriveshaft is an aftermarket part that someone had made. the tranny is fine, just use your driveshaft that came out of your car. it will fit fine...
Old 06-15-2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Durdan
the tranny is the same. the one peice fdriveshaft is an aftermarket part that someone had made. the tranny is fine, just use your driveshaft that came out of your car. it will fit fine...
Yeah it fits, but it doesn't come completely up to the transmission. Leading me to believe that once I put fluid in there, it's all going to gush out the back since there is no seal.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Contributing Member

there is a small amount of play bro comes from the factory like that.. also have you even bolted the end of the shaft up to the differential yet?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
there is a small amount of play bro comes from the factory like that.. also have you even bolted the end of the shaft up to the differential yet?
Since the DS is in 2 pieces, I have bolted the back part to the diff, and shoved the front part into the tranny. With the front part of the DS plugged into the tranny, there is a 1/2" space between the front section and the back section of the DS.

I found my camera, so I'll have some pictures up later today of my issues.

Thanks for the replies!

-S
Old 06-16-2007, 10:34 AM

the driveshafts dont go all the way in!! its fine. just bolt it all together and leave it. the seal is around the outside of the input shaft.. so the distance that it is inserted doesnt come into play. its fine.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:55 AM

I got a 1 piece aluminum DS and it has a 1/2 inch gap, I am not leaking no oil at all. Do you have a 1/2 inch gap with or with out the metal dust cover on? I had to remove the dust cover to make the 1 piece fit.

Last edited by bucket240; 06-16-2007 at 11:56 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-16-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by bucket240
I got a 1 piece aluminum DS and it has a 1/2 inch gap, I am not leaking no oil at all. Do you have a 1/2 inch gap with or with out the metal dust cover on? I had to remove the dust cover to make the 1 piece fit.

Ohhhhhh! Yeah, I had to remove the dust cap as well. Ok, well then, I'll bolt everything back together and see what happens.

I'm still trying to get to my old house to take pictures, but tomorrow I have plans to put it all back together, after reading the last 2 posts.