Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

anyone know how to tune a power fc?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 10:31 AM

anyone know how to tune a power fc?

i just installed an apexi power fc in my s13 sr20det. its pretty easy to work with, but i have a lot of mods on my car and don't really know how to mess with the ignition timing map or the fuel correction numbers. can anyone help me out with a sort of base tune. just enought to get the car running?
Old 02-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

The Sr comes with base maps to get your engine running, assuming you purchased the correct version of the Power FC and it alos has correctoins built in for the most common mods.

You are asking for trouble when you are looking for someone on the internet, hundreds if not THOUSANDS of miles from your car for help on tuning the engine.

You need to go through the commander and enter all the mods you have done such as different MAF, larger injectors ETC. The Power FC has the corrections built in for most of the common mods.

THEN you need to get a laptop, FC datalogit, and a dyno to finish the tuning. You can NEVER do that over the internet.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:07 PM

yeah, i was plannin on taking it to a speed shop and having the power fc tuned to perfection on a dyno. i do have the fc handheld commander to tune with. i don't think that the base tune that comes pre-programned into the ecu is sufficent enough for the mods i have. i have a 300z maf. and 1000cc injectors. i tuned the ecu to correspond to the maf. but still no luck gettin the car started. the car hasn't ran in almost 4 months.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:59 AM

Your best bet is to call the tech center at US Apexi. They have people there that can help you walk through the commander. My buddy had the same problem when he first got his and he said that the people there were real helpful. With the info he got his car running good enough to get it to a dyno.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:22 PM

TWAN: so your saying that when he first installed the fc that his car would not start either?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:30 AM

Yes. But he didnt have 1000cc injectors. He only had 770's. He was having a problem durning the setup getting the car to recognize the injector data settings. He ended up getting it running with thier help. Good luck
Old 02-25-2005, 12:21 PM

hey, i just called apexi and they said they couldn't do any tunning over the phone. they can only tell me what each function does but cannot offer any input.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:46 PM

To get the injectors tuned correctly, you'd need to run about 37% of the injector duty cycle. You'd also need to figure out the impedance on the injectors and tune the lag time accordingly. Tuning ignition and fuel maps with the commander is absolutely retarded, it'd take all day. If you are planning on tuning go order the Dataloggit software(something like 400$ or so) and go to a dyno shop with experience.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:09 AM

ok, thats cool, i plan on taking it to a dyno shop but i just need a base tune to get the car up and running.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:19 PM

ok, well what exactly is impedence? because i called up msd and they gave me 2 numbers: 75 pound per hour. 2ohm injector. i really don't have a clue what to do with those numbers or how to use them with the tunning
Old 02-28-2005, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by robalicious96
ok, well what exactly is impedence? because i called up msd and they gave me 2 numbers: 75 pound per hour. 2ohm injector. i really don't have a clue what to do with those numbers or how to use them with the tunning
That means you have low impedance injectors. When you set up the injectors in the PFC it gives you a percentage and a lag time next to it measured in MS. The percentage is the duty cycle for the injectors and the MS is the lag time. If I remember right with low impedance injectors you want to drop the lag time. My advice would be to have someone knowledgeable to PFC's to come out and set it up.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:39 PM

yeah, no one in my town knows anything about that. tell me a lil more about the lag time. the stock lag time numbers on the fc are at like 0. should i drop it down into negative figures is what your saying? i got the car runnin finally, but every time give it a lil bit of gas it barley reves up. and when i mash on it, it stalls out. i know i need to take it to a speed shop to get it tuned on a dyno. but i need a base tune so that it is at least drivable to get there.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

I was going to buy one of these for my RB25 but they have stopped making them! There was only one avail when I was in Japan and it wasn't pre-programmed with the baseline settings, and being they aren't made anymore there was no warranty. Kinda dissapointed me I was really excited to get one, but I will wait and see what else comes up for the RB25.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Banned

Mines being tuned by K&D Rotary out of eastern PA.