Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

got a few questions about swaps....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 02:28 PM

got a few questions about swaps....

ok whats gonna be worth it, sr20det, or rb25det, i really wanna do the rb but the is the extra cash really worth it? it would be going into a s13. and also i live in so cali so if anyone knows any shops that will do the rb can you let me know thanks. i think i would do the sr swap with my friends but im not too sure what consists of doing the rb swap. ive heard all kinds of different storys.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

a Search coulda helped u out a bit, but ill give ya sum info. SR20DET complete swap...installation and evrything 3500..u installing it ur self about 2500-2900. RB25DET complete swap and installation and other stuff u gatta get inorder for it to work properly and stuff...up around 5500. If u do it urself..around 4300 ish. But thats u doing swap. The RB swap isnt all that difficult..just make sure wut ur doing and ur pretty much Set. A place in so cal that can drop in the RB is Mckinney motorsports..there down by SD.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:13 AM

alright thanks man, also how much quicker are the rb's in the s13 than the sr20's?
Old 09-12-2003, 01:02 PM

mmmmmm is hard to tell depend on how u tune your engine
i personally think sr are better engine for 240
is really what u think is best for your car
Old 09-12-2003, 01:16 PM

Actually JUN has one of the fastest 1/4 and top speed times in a SR20DET-equipped Silvia. The thing is stroked of course, but it is impressive nonetheless.

And keep in mind the prices that Hyjynx quoted are for basic swaps with little to no new parts or upgrades (IMO). This of course assumes that your engine already comes with everything it needs to fire and run reliably. I hope to create a spreadsheet of sorts when we do our swap that'll detail every little cost. My friend did just enough to have it running, plus a few minor goodies. I can ask him how much he spent if you'd like.

Hyjynx...did you include things like a water pump, belts, hoses, fluids, clutch, spark plugs, gaskets, etc? While these things are not ultimately necessary, it is generally a good idea to replace them while doing the swap (unless of course you wanna yank the motor back out in the near future).
Old 09-12-2003, 01:26 PM

yeah whatever motor i decide to go with ill probably be getting it installed and replacing the basics, not really upgrading it. the times i was asking for where with the motors pretty much stock. Id really like to do the swap with my friends with whatever i get but everytime i look at whats needed something else comes up or people are leaving nessicary parts out you know? Im assuming i would be getting the front clip of either motor so if someone can list the parts i would need that wouldnt be coming with the clip that would be real helpful thanks.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DC2R Munky
Actually JUN has one of the fastest 1/4 and top speed times in a SR20DET-equipped Silvia. The thing is stroked of course, but it is impressive nonetheless.

And keep in mind the prices that Hyjynx quoted are for basic swaps with little to no new parts or upgrades (IMO). This of course assumes that your engine already comes with everything it needs to fire and run reliably. I hope to create a spreadsheet of sorts when we do our swap that'll detail every little cost. My friend did just enough to have it running, plus a few minor goodies. I can ask him how much he spent if you'd like.

Hyjynx...did you include things like a water pump, belts, hoses, fluids, clutch, spark plugs, gaskets, etc? While these things are not ultimately necessary, it is generally a good idea to replace them while doing the swap (unless of course you wanna yank the motor back out in the near future).
Those prices arent including lil other upgrades..just a basic Swap. As DC2r said it isnt necessary..but ur car might run a lil smoother if u do those lil upgrades.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:24 PM

Hiya,
Found these threads, might be of some use.

Hybrid How-To: S13 Nissan Silvia
Hybrid No. 6: S13 Nissan Silvia
By Dave Coleman

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0205scc_silvia/

Power Pages: 1989 240SX S13 (SR20DET)

By Scott Tsuneishi

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0309it_pp240sx/
Old 09-12-2003, 06:34 PM

hey guys thanks for the info im hoping to do this within a month or 2. still gotta decide which route to go though
Old 09-13-2003, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Misfitflesh
hey guys thanks for the info im hoping to do this within a month or 2. still gotta decide which route to go though
o0k man, go0d luck