Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

RB20 is going in!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 05:17 PM

wow. all i can say is wow. this seems hella complicated but lots of fun. over all, how much time did you put into this?? im currently looking for a S13 240sx (the one right now has no motor or tranny) and i am debating between the RB20 and the SR20 (my first project at 17 should be awesome) and would be doing most of the work myself. i would also like to know about the cost (i wanna start as soon as i get the cash to start). and if there is anything i can do with the motor and tranny out before swap?? (as for wiring, im thinking of having a local import shop do that, im more than happy to tow a car anywhere to have it done. ) btw congrats and good luck on the swap. i see lots of people postiong but not the how to's of swapping. 2 thumbs up for good reading material.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:59 AM

yeah i am in the same dilemma, but the cost for hte RB will kinda high. And u have to also consider that it will be somewhat difficult to find aftermarket parts and the ones u find for the RB will also be sometimes expensive (IE the exhaust from VeilSide is 1k!). But if u have the Cash and time, get the RB otherwise the SR is a good bet, and that is what i am gonna have to do for now.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:36 AM

an rb20 costs less then an sr...and for exhaust any s13 exhaust will work...
Old 08-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

that's right-if I hadn't upgraded my turbo I'd be done by now with my swap. Biggest problems I've found so far is that the water pump, timing belt, valve cover gaskets, and exhaust manifold gaskets are Japan only. So is the water pump for the SR tho too.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

More RB Pics-Getting Closer......

got the turbo oil lines ran and finally bolted it up with the MAFS and air cleaner, hopefully for the last time. Time for IC piping, finish up the wiring, and fluids up..........
Attached Thumbnails RB20 is going in!-rb20aug1.jpg  
Old 08-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

another one
Attached Thumbnails RB20 is going in!-rb20aug2.jpg  
Old 08-28-2004, 03:30 PM

So is it going to be on the road in the next week? I'm waitting on pay day. Like $50 and she's on the road.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

hopefully soon-the fun body work starts next, at least I can drive it tho and dump the toyota.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:41 PM

Hey which wire is the 12v ignition? I was trying to find it but unsure.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

I just tested the other RB20 1/2 cut I have in the shop, on the RB20 plug it showed the white/purple and white/black as constant +. The Black/Red is switched. The light green was also showing switched power in this clip but the other one wasn't, maybe the AC is on in this clip. Then I tested my car with everything unhooked and I have a RED and RED/BLK that are constant, and a BLK/RED, BLK/PINK, GR/YL, and BROWN(one of 2) that are all switched positive.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

got intercooler piping-couldn't get into the exhaust shop until late so I just had them bend the pieces and leave them long, time to get cutting and welding-pics coming soon.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:25 AM
Contributing Member

if you find out about the tach wiring and have pics please let me knnow. I want to hook up a tach but would have no idea where to start in that mess. I could look at wiring diagrams, but they drive me crazy! keep up the good work. I have now taken on more install jobs and I can include RBs as well now and that is part in thanks to your and ruthless_S13s info. I have tons of pics but no idea how to put them up. I think I should get a site for them. if you guys have any suggestions on that let me know.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

You put the tach from the RB cluster into the 240's cluster. It's the easiest way to do it I've found so far.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

More pics of intercooler and piping

Got the piping and intercooler in, this is the hardest part of a swap with a front mount in my opinion. I used some old radiator mounting tabs and tig welded them to the charge pipes so I'd have rubber mounting tabs for them. The upper charge pipe will be made tomorrow, I'm going to be running it between the engine and the radiator. I used 2" aluminized pipe on my intercooler, I'll see how it works and maybe upgrade to 2-1/4" aluminum in the future. I pulled a rag soaked with gas thru my charge pipes to make sure they were clean, the chop saw leaves alot of grit in them Hoping to fire up this week, but I've had alot of people in the shop so no guarantees.
Attached Thumbnails RB20 is going in!-rb20ic.jpg  
Old 09-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

looking good so far, should've gone for larger I/c piping though

Quick Reply: RB20 is going in!