General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
Negative - when you recharge you shouldn't put the fan at max, because unless you are using a forced recharge, the r134a won't get into the system that easily since air is rushing through too quickly (not pulling in the r134a instead). When we recharge we run the fan at 2 or 3, hookup the recharge lines, tip the r134a canister over, and it takes 4 minutes to fully recharge.
I don't disagree with either opinions but I just can't see how fan speed affects anything. The fan speed is only for the blower and that's it. Nothing to do with the compressor or any pressures.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by TWong1200
I don't disagree with either opinions but I just can't see how fan speed affects anything. The fan speed is only for the blower and that's it. Nothing to do with the compressor or any pressures.
That was from experience when I'd have to recharge a/c systems at my old job. Take it for what it's worth
Old 09-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Ok I got it working and it's nice and chilly. Thanks for all your help guys.

Btw, just for future readers or anybody who needs to do this (s13 but it probably works on all)....

If the system is completely empty, you won't get the compressor to kick unless you jump the low side pressure switch. It's a brown small switch to the right (from the front of the car looking in) of the battery on the receiver-dryer. You need to disconnect that switch and jump it (use a paperclip or something to connect the two terminals) on the top end of the switch (the part that comes out). Then when you turn on the car the compressor will engage.
DO NOT RUN IT FOR EXTENDED TIME WITHOUT ANYTHING IN THE SYSTEM!!! IT WILL BURN OUT THE COMPRESSOR!!! (just adding that so newbs don't come crying)
Then you can start filling the system up. Once full, let it run for a few minutes and check for leaks or anything wrong. Then shut the car off, unjump the switch and reconnect it. Start the car again. It should work now.

There you have it. Recharging an A/C system.

PS: One problem I encountered. The compressor would surge (turn on then off then on then off). I had overcharged it. Once I started releiving the extra it worked fine.