General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Help!!! overheating!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 12:09 PM

Help!!! overheating!!!

Well, I have a 92 with 125000... everything is stock but an intake...but I need help. When I start my engine, everything is fine, but when my engine heats up, my car will overheat and coolant will start spraying everywhere!!! I don't know what to do. I let it cool down and put more in, it will drive fun until the engine heats up again, and the samething happens again. I don't even want to touch my car right now..please help!!
Old 09-13-2002, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Where's it leaking from?

Is the upper radiator hose hot?

There are a lot of possibly solutions to this problem - with a big price range as well.

It could be anything from a <$10 thermostat to a blown headgasket and potential motor rebuild. Most cooling problems are easy to track down and fix, but we'll need more info.

If your top radiator hose is not getting hot, it may be your thermostat.

If your top radiator hose is getting hot, and you're overheating in traffic but not on the highway - it may be your engine fan or fan clutch. Best solution for this is to switch to an electric fan setup. (IMHO)

If you have coolant pissing from a small hole on your water pump, you may need to replace the pump.

If it's none of these, have your radiator tested for blockage.

Also, you may want to check your compression - it will tell you if you have a blown head gasket. You can also check to see if the oil on your dipstick is foamy - that's an indicator of coolant in the oil (usually from a blown head gasket).

-Justin
http://www.saltgod.org
Old 09-13-2002, 11:50 PM

thank you, I took it in the shop and all I need was the thermostat... thankx alot for all the info
Old 09-14-2002, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

I had that problem last week, but it wasn't the thermostat, it was the bypass hose that is located under the fuel rail under the intake manifold? What a *itc* to get out, 2 days, but got it up and running. $5 for the part, about 10 hours of labor. KA's suck I definitely need an sr=more room to work on it