NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

240sx newbie......help?

Old 04-13-2007, 06:25 AM

240sx newbie......help?

ok... heres what going on, i just bought a 240sx. its a 1990 and has a dent near the fuel cover. to put gas in.. >.> and a cracked lip.. which the lip is no biggie, anyway. the only problem it looked to have was a powersteering fuild leak, cause everything started up well and all. runs great. but yesterday and the day before the car just wouldnt start at all.. wouldnt crank or anything. when i turn the key to (4) start all the power goes out. i thought it was the alternator but my friend tested the battery and said it was fun so its not the alternator, so i asked if it was the starter, he said if it made a winding noise. nope, no noise just all the power gone.another thing was that after like 4 hours or so of just leaving the car it started up. so i dont know where else to go. has anyone had problems like this? on btw dont know if this makes a difference but the ignition box is loose and i can gingle it. not sure if thats normal with this car. any help would be great other wise, i think im just going to take it to MPH its a local import mechanic place that specializes in import performance, plus my gf knows everyone that works there, and they fixed up her bros car with superchargers and all that other crap... like swaps and custom body work.

oh just thought of something theres a extra cig lighter port right above the gas pedal on the dash, below the steering wheel.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

battery terminal loose? mine does this on and off. i gotta go tighten it often. idk just an idea?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

on my battery terminal, which was also loose, i made a piece of metal for a shim to put between it,a nd it hasnt come loose yet.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:04 PM

...i thought it was the alternator but my friend tested the battery and said it was fun so its not the alternator,...
Wait, what? How does testing the battery lead you to the conclusion that the alternator is not at fault?

I had a similar experience with my 1995 240SX the day after I bought it. It suddenly wouldn't start: the crank was nothing but a click, and all of the electronics were like molasses, so it was pretty obviously the battery.

Also, a note for future posts: you might receive better assistance if you use coherent English with punctuation.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I agree with ^. Definetely check the alternator again.
And follow what he said about the english part.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 PM

Do the electrics work when the ignition is "on"? (locks, windows, stereo, wipers, etc.)

Maybe check the ignition switch as well. Hey, you never know, it could be that obvious
Old 04-14-2007, 10:30 AM

yeah sorry about my english. my friend doesnt know as much about cars as he thinks. i took it to mph and they said it was a bad starter. but the new car gets better, turns out the cv joint was broken. And as for my power steeriing problem, the pressure hose is cracked, rack and pinion is cracked, and teh tierod ends are bent or broke. they want to charge me 1,319.64 to fix the power steering. so i guess my next questions is anyone want to help? i have no tools. and hardly any experience. I finished the 63B course for the us army. but that was more for general stuff. not much on hands but i do want to learn more about cars, mainly the 240sx. but yeah ill buy the parts and just need someone to do the install, i mean ill help as much as i can.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by soul strong
they want to charge me 1,319.64 to fix the power steering.

RED FLAG!!!!!! dooooo notttt follow through with that... for that price you could buy another 240... find out which lines are busted, take them off, take them to autozone/pep boys/etc..., buy new ones, put on... that simple, not too much needed tool wise, get a crescent wrench, basic metric deep socket set with ratchet, and some vise grips.. that should do it, lines and tools needed (guessing as to price) shouldn't be more than a few hundred bucks... as far as time, it shouldn't take too long to do even with minimal experience, hardest part will be finding the faulty lines and getting access to them for removal and reinstallation. find a buddy with a basic knowledge of mechanics to help you locate the lines and it shouldn't take you long.

whatever you do, don't spend over a grand for something as stupid as powersteering. otherwise, just go without it
Old 04-16-2007, 04:07 PM

well i found a guy on here selling me the items i need for the power steering

which are as follows
rack and pinion
tie rod end inner and outer
and the pressure hose

for 270. + shipping and the parts retail are like 800 new so used seems like a good idea