NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

clutch concern

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:52 PM

Angry clutch concern

Ive searched and read up on some similar problems ppl have wrote on the forums but still want some opinions... I drive a 92 coupe, dohc 5-speed, and I just noticed tonight that theres a strange noise coming from the front of the car as i depress the clutch and go to put my car into gear. not a high pitch whining or popping noise, but a noise similar to...the power antenna going up or down....that "type" of sound. And its not exactly hard to put it in gear, but i notice a noise that i didnt notice before today. It doesnt happen with the car in neutral, only when i press the clutch in, and try to put it into any gear. It just started snowing today but i doubt that has anything to do with it? Is it TO bearing issue? Im gonna go out and drive it up the road to see if i can diagnose it any further tonight, but please throw out some opinions...other than search. Thanks alot

one other thing i was having clutch issues before but it was the slave cylinder. i replaced that and the master, and everything has been fine since...

If this is a TO bearing problem, how bad is this gonna be?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

prolly the throw out bearing, nothing to major, just get a new clutch and replace it
Old 12-06-2006, 12:11 PM

clutch

Does this happen everytime you push the clutch in, or just the first time after you start it? Or maybe just the first time after it sits for a little?

My five speed makes a similar noise, but only after it has sat for several hours.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:20 PM

if youre pressing the clutch in and its making the noise then this is the pilot bearing. if its making the sound w/o the clutch being pressed its the t/o bearing. (pretty sure)
this sound used to happen on my car too, replaced the pilot bearing with the new clutch and use dthe same t/o bearing b/c it was still spinning great. no more sound