NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Weird Idling

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:24 AM

Weird Idling

Yes I did post rough idling before but them went to check it and my post wasnt there so im gunna make a new one. Here it is. Everytime I start my car it idles real rough like shaking rough, and itll idle between 450rpms and 750. It wont stop till I hold the rpms around 1500, but doesnt shake at all when im driving. I was bouncin ideas off my friend and we came to the conclusion that maybe theres carbon deposits in the combustion chambers or on a sensor(s). If you guys could diagnos this problem for me that would be great. Could it be the timing chain?
Old 02-08-2005, 09:17 PM

just do some maintenance. clean the throttle body, swab the maf, change the plugs/wires, etc. mine used to idle pretty weird too and then i cleaned the throttle body and it smoothed out real nice.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

intake manifold gasket. may also be the intake plenumb gasket.

500 dollar repair.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:39 PM

Aight thanks guys.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

Your car shakes .....as in the whole car shaking? Pop your hood and start your car, then look at the motor if it's shaking. If it is you might need new motor mounts. As for the weird idling.....let me know because mine is doing it at times also. Thanks. I'll do the same when I find out what causes it.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:04 AM
Contributing Member

after the rebuild of my motor i have the same problem... among others... it runs real strangr till you get it just off of idle then it goes pretty good... other than getting the wrong bearings i have to pull it all back out again to change the rod bearings AGAIN...then i will troubleshoot the idle problem... im thinking mine is more in the timing than anything... but i will also check the intake gasket since i did not replace that when i had my motor apart...i did clean the throttle body and the mafs tho...i will see what i can come up with but it will be a few weeks...
Old 02-11-2005, 02:53 PM

Ya the whole car shakes, and when im sittin at a light sometimes it gets close to stalling. Ive heard that it might be the IAA valve, carbon deposits in the combustion chambers, carbon deposits on a sensor(s). So im gunna check all that this weekend when i get my car back from the shop (had to get the frame fixed and it turned out great). But i went on to the FAQs and found a site, its http://www.**********/faq/index.html and it has a lotta trouble shooting on there so you guys might wanna check it out. Ill keep you posted after I check everything out. Hopefully Ill find it and be able to fix it for not that much money.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:24 PM

Why not try and turn up the idle rpms.. By turning an adjustment screw towards the back under the EGR.

Turn it till you hear or see the rpm’s increase, so its a stable idle, too low and the engine will stumble and shake.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:49 PM

Fixed it guys, all I did was check the fuel injectors, and replaced the fuel filter. I couldnt work on it earlier because i didnt have the car, it was at a frame shop getting the frame repaired, and it looks excellent. The car runs like brand new, and I never thought it to feel this good, I have now felt the full power of the 240. Something kinda funny though, before I fixed it, I was running on 3 cylinders, because the 3rd cylinder injector shorted out...i found that kinda fun, a 3 banger 240 lol. Hope this helps anyone looking at this thread to see if I fixed it. Good luck and happy 240ing!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 03:43 AM
Contributing Member

now you just need to do the engine build and you will be set... i would suggest that you get a second motor to build while you drive the car around... thats what im did... im thinking about getting a third engine... this one i want to boost...i am either going to build a custom supercharger system or a dual turbo set up... befor anyone freaks... im doing this for my own ideas and some r & d with the ka... i have always loved radical engine combos and a twin turbo civic that i helped build in cali was a blast...(for a fwd car) sounded mean as hell as well... this will be a slow process since i have to buy an suv after the motor is finished on the 240... the deals you have to make to own a project car...will keep everyone posted on how things work...here is an idea... dual turbo with itb's set up... niceeeeeeeee...
Old 02-17-2005, 04:03 PM

Thanks...ill hopefully have boost by the end of this summer...but i dont know about the 2nd motor idea, dont know how well that would go over with the old lady sittin in the garage haha. O well one step at a time.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

just ell her it is so you can drive it while you dream of the go fast times ahead...not to mention if you blow up your boosted motor then you will have another motor to stick back in and only have a day or so down time...