Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

Operation Delete 240 insert 180!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:06 AM

Wow, this is exciting, i spent a LONG while reading this post just to find out that it's still in progress! That's great! My CA is almost done, it is being put back into my 180SX (RHD) It came in originally but i got the car with a Ka, now i am just focused ont he upgrade path. Yes, i am also a true believer int he "Ebay special" I personally love SSautochrome. The turbo's though as controvercial as they are, can be made better for sure. The look nice but no joke, arn't up to par. My friend just bout one the other day and it is already spitting out oil.

Anyway, good luck with this swap and i will be looking at this daily.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:02 PM

Sorry for the late response, I was away on vacation tearing up the slopes in Vermont... sucks to be back home, but good news is, I'm on vacation till Sunday. That means I get three solid days to work on the car.

The lengthening of the wire harness is complete, as far as I know. I still have to insulate and loom them up, but I'm holding off till once I'm sure everything is in working order.

Starting tomorrow, my goals are to get the fuel lines ran, radiator installed, heater hoses installed, and then finally get the intercooler and piping installed... then the processes of eliminating all those damn tiny air hoses, and all other miscellaneous trouble.

Thanks for reading!
Old 01-14-2007, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by 93coupe
another question for trevor on my motor i was missing three vacuum lines right in between the middle of the third intake plenum and the fourth i was wondering where they go??
From my research (I have not yet done this) that metal hose gallery is just an extension, and can be removed. Originally, they were used for parts of the AC, and fuel vapor management. The diagram below shows how to re-route the lines.

Name:  downpipe002.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  32.8 KB

Name:  4134vaccum_lines.jpg
Size:  22.2 KB

Last edited by trevr; 01-14-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:21 PM

Dude, I cannot wait till I can start this f'n thing. It finally seems like it is all coming together. I just hope its runs!

This past few days, I spend some hours connecting hoses. Heater hoses were simple enough, bought 6' length of 5/8 which was enough to do the heater lines, and PCV valve on the back right hand side. After all these lines were on, I replaced the coolant reservoir, and dumped coolant into the radiator.

Also, connected the filter, fuel/vapor lines and brake booster. Again, very easily done. Bought 4' of 3/8 heater hose and had some left over.

The next day, it was time to start looking at installing the intercooler.

The turbo side was a breeze to install. From the turbo I used 2" to 2.5" 90 degree reducer to a 90 degree pipe to a 90 degree silicone elbow through the existing hole, and ended with a 45 degree pipe to the front.

Name:  DSCF0124.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  69.9 KB

The throttle body side, was a little more interesting. At first, I was thinking of running the pipe in between the radiator and support brace. There is plenty of room, but I later decided against it, due to the series of bends to come around and back up to meet the intercooler, plus the pipe is more exposed. In the end, going through the battery tray was the path.

Name:  DSCF0111.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:  DSCF0115.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  54.1 KB

Drill a circle of holes, then punch out in between with a long strong screw driver.

Name:  DSCF0116.jpg
Size:  60.9 KB

not the prettiest, but large enough for piping.

From the throttle body, I used a 3" to 2.5" reducer to a 90 degree pipe to a 90 degree silicone elbow down through the new hole and out the front with a 45 degree bend.

Name:  DSCF0125.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  71.2 KB

Name:  DSCF0120.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  64.1 KB

This is where the fun stopped. I bought my intercooler and piping kit from eBay, claiming it was a complete kit... well, I can assure you there is no such thing! (atleast not on eBay) I didn't mentioned it before, but I did have to cut some pipes to get the length I needed. My kit also shipped with only two 90 degree silicone elbows - I need four all together! I spent an additional $30 for just two elbows, plus, I previously spend $24 for the 2.5" to 2" reducer. Once they arrive, I will position up the intercooler and be done.

One last set back before I wrap this up for today. I am missing a piece of wire harness from the ECU to the fuel pump. It appears that there is a small linking harness between the two, I'm not sure if there is or not. I'm going to go check the junk yard to see how exactly it connects. Worse case, I will just have to splice the two ends together... who knows

Last edited by trevr; 01-14-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:54 AM

looking good man it just snowed a bunch here so i haven't been able to work on my car its at my friends shop but i can't wait to fire mine up either! Do you have some more pics showing the wiring that would be helpful!!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:51 PM

Yeah if you can send more pics that would be great im planning on doing my wiring over spring break so i hope by then you will have alot of pics
Old 01-19-2007, 07:37 AM

^^^^ I'm renting a garage across town, so as of now I'm waiting for the three silicone couplers to arrive before I make the trip over there... should be able to get the pics for you this weekend. Provide me with your email address, and I can get them to you asap.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:08 AM

Thanks that would be helpful my e-mail is cwhite240sx@hotmail.com
Old 01-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by trevr
Click here to see Video

Here's a nice video of this motor in action. Its not the fastest CA I've seen but still nice. The motor is very rev happy being able to hit 8500rpm's with its smaller displacemnt and forged internals.

Click here to see Video

40 - 145mph

it's stupid stuff like that that makes it hard for the rest of us with the cops. that kind of driveing should be kept off the streets and on the track. i'm guilty of doing the samething when i was younger but i grew up. that stuff is dangerus. if the retaid doing the driveing died i a crash it's one thing but if others happen to be in your way it's something else.

get marreid have some kids and you'll se what i mean. if you want to have fun and show off do it where you'll be the only one to die and not someone else. there's a reason street race is illegal and not just because it involves people speeding.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:35 PM

^^^ That is true, and I appreciate your opinion. These are videos that I have found, I am not affiliated with any of them. I posted them to demonstrate the motor, and not carelessness of illegal street racing.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

i'm glad to see you understand the dangers associated with this sort of stuff. i didn't want to direct my coments towards you beacuse i figuered you just found the vids on the net.

but to anyone doing this stuff do us all a favor and knock it off or drive off a cliff so i don't have to worry about a loved one being killed by some idiot with more hp than brains.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

very true, but i must comment on one thing... UPDATE.... im getting emo not having ca18det updates..... get the parts, and finish this build...
Old 01-30-2007, 02:42 PM

hey so i have a suggestion. switch the name of this thread to "...insert 200", because the 240's that came with the CA were the Australian/European ones that were called 200sx's. I think.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

there was a 200sx in america too, which is entirely different than a silvia or 180sx. yes, australian and european 200sx's did have ca's but so did the early 180sx's

Last edited by cronux; 02-01-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by AZdrifterS13
hey so i have a suggestion. switch the name of this thread to "...insert 200", because the 240's that came with the CA were the Australian/European ones that were called 200sx's. I think.
Here are the respective vehicles equipped with CA18DET

* 1987-1988 Nissan Silvia S12 GT-X(International market)

* 1989-1990 Nissan Silvia/180SX S13 (International market)

* 1989 Nissan Bluebird RNU12 SSS ATTESA Limited (JDM Market)

* 1989-1993 Nissan 200SX S13-U Europe.

Since my motor had Japanese writing all over it, I would assume it came from the International (Japanese included) 180sx S13 and not the Euro 200sx S13.

Last edited by trevr; 02-01-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Operation Delete 240 insert 180!