Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

How to install coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 07:56 PM
war

How to install coilovers

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how to install coilovers for my 89 240sx coupe. These are the kind that i got http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2443415384

Thanks
Old 11-19-2003, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Those are "coil over sleeves" and you will have to slide them over your current or new shocks.

Install them in the same fashion as you would take the old shock apart.

I would watch with those as they usually are not the best quality.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:06 PM

how do you install them??? easy... take them to a dumpster!!!... i cant beleive you bought these things... even if you are just daily driving them and not beating on them... a friend here thought he could save money and buy those coilovers so he bought the same ones you did and now suffers from broken suspension stuffs...

but if you want to be the hoss and still install them...

take off your spring strut assembly... take out all the crap on top, take off the spring... and look inside your coilovers treaded sleeve... if you look inside and find a ring welded inside of it then what you need to do is, somehow CUT the spring perch on your shocks, but dont cut the weld that is on it.. and you slide the treaded sleeve over it untill that ring sits on the weld... if neither of this applies to you then just sit the treaded sleeve on the perch... this goes for both front and back set ups...

when you are done, but that little wizard of oz cap on top of it.. dont forget that little rubber boot thingy or else your upper perch will not be set permanently... if you insisit ill show you pictures of how i did mine.. "ground control" they are similar to those but better quality...

then after all that enjoy the bouncy ride on your stock soon to be blown shocks

dont bother renting or buying a spring compressor... aim the thing towards a cardboard box and let that little nut shoot out... just look away and save that nut...
Old 11-19-2003, 03:14 PM
war

shocks are pretty much already blown
Old 11-19-2003, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jonas
how do you install them??? easy... take them to a dumpster!!!... i cant beleive you bought these things... even if you are just daily driving them and not beating on them... a friend here thought he could save money and buy those coilovers so he bought the same ones you did and now suffers from broken suspension stuffs...

but if you want to be the hoss and still install them...

take off your spring strut assembly... take out all the crap on top, take off the spring... and look inside your coilovers treaded sleeve... if you look inside and find a ring welded inside of it then what you need to do is, somehow CUT the spring perch on your shocks, but dont cut the weld that is on it.. and you slide the treaded sleeve over it untill that ring sits on the weld... if neither of this applies to you then just sit the treaded sleeve on the perch... this goes for both front and back set ups...

when you are done, but that little wizard of oz cap on top of it.. dont forget that little rubber boot thingy or else your upper perch will not be set permanently... if you insisit ill show you pictures of how i did mine.. "ground control" they are similar to those but better quality...

then after all that enjoy the bouncy ride on your stock soon to be blown shocks

dont bother renting or buying a spring compressor... aim the thing towards a cardboard box and let that little nut shoot out... just look away and save that nut...
Be nice the guy already purchased them.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by StanBo
i told him how to install didnt i..
Old 11-21-2003, 04:49 PM

i saved my money and bought full coilovers and I would suggest that to anyone over coilover sleeves or springs
Old 11-22-2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by StanBo
He's riding on blown shocks, but is buying those. He deserves a few flames.