How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

DIY INTAKE MANIFOLD porting for Natural aspiration

Old 12-18-2007, 06:36 PM

Sorry guy's it has been awhile.
Finally dynoed the engine with 95 octane, and stock (20btdc) timing. The results are very impressive.
Can't wait till the PDM cams, and my ported intake runners go into place.
All most finished with the runners. Please keep in mind this was done on a mustang dyno, a dyno jet would of showed higher gains, not to mention I didn't advance timing is stock!!!
Shooting for 185RWHP when the manifold, and cams are installed.
Name:  PeakHPMustangDyno.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  40.8 KB

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-18-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

i'm not going to pretend to be an expert so could you explain what the deal is with the torque and arf?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
i'm not going to pretend to be an expert so could you explain what the deal is with the torque and arf?

Well the problem is that the SAFC isn't an excellent tool for adjusting the A/Fr's, to the stock ecu. What you are seeing is a manipulated stock A/F ratio. If that A/Fr was more tuned via ecu (fuel MAPS) there could of been room for a lot more HP, not to mention changes to ignition timing.
Secondly it was harder to tune using the N60 MAF. Why there was a drop in torque was simply because the mixture went super rich where it shouldn't of been causing it to drop and come back up.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-18-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

that's kinda what i figured thanks.

also you are going to port the head to match intake right? and what cams did you get from pdm,i thought you were going to get bc?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:01 PM

that's kinda what i figured thanks.

also you are going to port the head to match intake right? and what cams did you get from pdm,i thought you were going to get bc?
I wanted the BC cams , but I had to rethink my option's.
The PDM cams actually show more extended power through out the rpm range, and brian crower hasn't shown any peak HP results for natural aspiration, which leads me to believe that those cams were designed more for forced induction.
I truly feel that the N60 maf with the PDM cams is the ultimate in peak power as well as extended rev. Although the PDM's cost more I think they are the better combination for the application thatI am looking for. Although don't take my word on it as the engineers at freshalloy tend to disagree and think I am a retard, because I don't have a B.S in engineering.

I have big plans on doing the head after I purchase the AMS fully counterweighted crank. I won't be doing to much porting though as the head IMO almost meets optimum velocity. It does needto be cleaned up.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
The PDM cams actually show more extended power through out the rpm range,
they better, they're not cheap. i still haven't had a chance to install mine.

but about the head work, unless you have a shop do it i'd advise against it without the use of a flow bench.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:00 PM

but about the head work, unless you have a shop do it i'd advise against it without the use of a flow bench.
BRG is going to measure the bearings and install crank for the bottom end. They will also supply the flow bench for me when I do the head work. BRG will have a guy balance the fully counterweighted crank for me. Way ahead of you...