NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Individual Throttle Bodie !project!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Contributing Member

It looks good, but why aren't you running the ITBs open?
Old 09-28-2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by ArticDragon
It looks good, but why aren't you running the ITBs open?
because 240sx's come with mass air flow meters........now how is my engine supposed to get proper fueling if i dont use the maf? if i could afford it, of course i'd buy a Motech standalone and run them open with pipercross filters! but then i wouldnt be making them myself out of ghetto gsxr1000 itb's, i'd be buying a professionally made kit that was tuned for the ka24de, and i'd be making tuned carbon fiber velocity stacks and runners for them.
heheh..............oh, and if you meant open like without any filter, well filters dont really take any hp away, but they do greatly increase engine longevity! every dust particle that gets into your motor puts thousands of miles of wear on ur cylinder walls if it gets on them.

-sage
Old 09-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Don't some people running MAP settings when they run ITBs though? Because true, you're running MAP with ITBs, but isn't that very similar to running the bstock minfold with shorter runners? Still a very good mod though.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:33 PM

Don't some people running MAP settings when they run ITBs though? Because true, you're running MAP with ITBs, but isn't that very similar to running the bstock minfold with shorter runners? Still a very good mod though.
cars that come with itb's use map sensors, and the honda guys use maps sensors with itb's, but they need more special tuning because the sensor gets a different signal than it would with a proper manifold, due to the plenum creating a huge vacuum chamber. using a maf allows it to theorhetically work better without any tuning. also, bmw uses a maf stock on their m3's, which come with itb's.
not sure what ur talking about bstock manifold with shorter runners......?
Old 09-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

not bstock, just stock. Sorry, the 'b' went along for the ride. Ive seen a couple of SOHC KAs running ITBs and they run standalone with MAP sensons.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:21 PM

not bstock, just stock. Sorry, the 'b' went along for the ride. Ive seen a couple of SOHC KAs running ITBs and they run standalone with MAP sensons.
oh yeah sorry, i forgot to mention before i guess that by running a map sensor system, you can run them open or just with filters, or with a ram air plenum or however you want, and theorhetically get a bit more hp due to less restriction in the flow and more velocity stack length tuning possibilities, etc.
-sage
Old 09-29-2004, 01:08 AM

i seen a gymkahana ek type R with open ITBs with screen type filters, but the main thing was that he had a nice air duct from the front bumper running to his ITBs (no plenium)...

Last edited by QR25DE; 09-29-2004 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by QR25DE
i seen a gymkahana ek type R with open ITBs with screen type filters, but the main thing was that he had a nice air duct from the front bumper running to his ITBs (no plenium)...
yes anything which gets fresh, cold air to the itb's is good. it has been proven that adding filters to the velocity stacks takes away virtually no hp at all......so why not? is it worth risking your motor over the vanity if seeing the itb's? not for me!
-sage
Old 10-02-2004, 12:48 PM

cant wait for more updates!

-Dan
Old 10-02-2004, 09:26 PM

i finished grinding the plenum supports and removed the secondaries from it. also painted it but hey, it was a bit scratched and i had just sand blasted it, so i couldnt help myself. test fitting the tb's, fits pretty great! looks like they are going to line up almost perfectly with a little bit of filing.
Attached Thumbnails Individual Throttle Bodie !project!-picture414_01oct04.jpg  
Old 10-02-2004, 09:27 PM

shows absense of seconary butterflies.
Attached Thumbnails Individual Throttle Bodie !project!-picture413_01oct04.jpg  
Old 10-05-2004, 07:24 PM

more
more

this is way cool
Now if i could just throw this on my Altima, people would run away screaming.
HAHAHA
Old 10-05-2004, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Turbo your car along with the ITBs. You already had the KA-T. Just slap on the turbo with the ITB setup and rawr! Monster car. Be unique and got KA-T with ITBs. That's be awesome!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:38 PM

Turbo your car along with the ITBs. You already had the KA-T. Just slap on the turbo with the ITB setup and rawr! Monster car. Be unique and got KA-T with ITBs. That's be awesome!
hehe.........awesome as that may be, i took the turbo off cause i like NA power delivery!........maybe sometime in the future, or somebody else could do it! although with a turbo, the stock intake manifold design is fine, its got a huge plenum, huge throttlebody, and i doubt you'd really gain much using itb's with a turbo over it, except for throttle response, which is prabably just about all i will gain anyways.
to make the itb's work with FI, i'd need to make an aluminum plenum, instead of the fiberglass setup im making now. that would cost $$$= fabrication and aluminum, or i'd have to buy a tig welder=1500$ for a cheaper one!
-sage
Old 10-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

I overlooked the whole aluminum plenum deal, my bad. It'd still be nice though :-D

Quick Reply: Individual Throttle Bodie !project!