NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

need help, car dying again

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 08:54 PM

need help, car dying again

well back to the same problem. my car is dying once again when no pressure is applied to the gas pedal. most of the time it will die. sometimes it'll struggle and keep itself alive. other times it'll idle at 500 rpm then raise and drop. the problem came back just yesterday. also around 2700 rpm, right before i shift, its as if the car is struggling. and sometimes during the lower gears when i dont step on gas the exhaust makes a noise. it kinda sounds like its suckin air? im not too sure how to describe it. this happens sometimes and sometimes it doesnt. it was also smoking. i dont know what color because it was at night and i just saw it from the headlights behind me. i dont really know what is wrong. does it seem like a o2 and tps sensor problem? i ordered/bought a tps sensor but its being shipped to autozone and should be there wednesday. then i bought a o2 sensor but its not fitting.

i know this is a dumb question, and i havent worked on a car. this is my first car. do i take off that bigger nut piece that fits into that hole onto the exhaust? the bosch one i bought doesnt screw onto the exhuast hole at all. its too small. but the one thats in there has like a bigger thing on it. that goes onto the hole.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

there is a jam nut on some ot sensors... and some are just bungs welded into the exhaust system... if the ot sensor does not fit take it back to the place you bought it along with the one you removed from the car and have em match it up with the right one...

as far as the tps switch... get your fsm manual out and go through the diagnostics for the tps switch... also check the ecu for codes... how to retreive codes from the ecu are posted on this sight as well.. if there are any codes use the fsm to find out what they are and what could be causing the problem...

it sounds more like either an intake problem or a fuel problem more than anything...

have you done anything to your intake??? if so what have you done??? are there any parts loose in the intake system or any holes that are not pluged...

then there is the idle... in your fsm it tells you how to set your idle... set the idle first and go from there...

if you dont have a fsm here is the place to get one...

http://www.zeroyon.com/index/content/view/24/47/
free download... good manual...
Old 09-24-2005, 06:33 PM

i did that and all times it blinked 55, then i checked and 55 means nothing is wrong. i changed the tps and maf, didnt change the o2 sensor because of that reason. i brought it back to autozone and they said that should be the one. they checked if it was the one i needed, if it was the one before or after the catalytic converter. and it was the one before which is the one i needed.