NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

neep help ASAP.......s13 will not start or anything

Old 07-14-2009, 08:40 PM

neep help ASAP.......s13 will not start or anything

i need help immediately tryin to figure out whats wrong with my s13. everything has been running fine until last friday. I jumped in the car, turned the key to start it.....and nothing. Not even a sound of the motor trying to turn over. So i turned it off and tried it again and it fired right up. well, over the course of the weekend it got worse. It was to the point that i could turn the key all the way and nothing would happen until i basically lightly released some on the tension on the key( i would turn it till it wouldnt turn no more, then lightly back off the key) and the car was starting that way. Now i have nothing. It jus turns as if there is no battery in the car. But i have lights, radio, everything else works fine. any ideas on what this could be??? also-on my last effort to try it out, i was thinking it had something to do with the ignition so i kinda jiggled the key as i tried to start it and it shut all my dash lights off for a sec then they came back on. Now......any ideas??? is it the ignition or something inside the steering column??? or could it be ignition coil?? alt??? i doubt the starter but thats why im here. Or am i waaaaay off and could it be something like the ECU??? please help guys. i appriciate any and all feedback. thanx alot guys.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

-check all of your fuses in the bay and under the dash

-get a friend, take a volt meter and place it across the bolt for the signal line on the starter. be very careful and have your friend turn the key to the full on position. look for any voltage... if you don't see anything, odds are you have a blown Starter fuse or bad ground on the starter.

-if you are getting a voltage signal, the solenoid within the starter could have just died. in this case replace the starter or try a known working starter.

-as for your ecu.. get down there and run a check.. if you get 5 long flashes and 5 quick ones, everything is good to go in theory.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:22 AM

thanks for that one biggame. I jus got off work (good ol' 3rd shift) so after i get me a quik power nap in-ima go out there and start with what i can do solo. If all checks out-ill get a hand from my buddy and do the voltage check. Ill jump back on here a lil later and post what i come up with. Your expertise never lets me down homie. Again...thanx dude.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

no problem brother.. hope all is well, let us know.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:51 PM

well.....it goes a lil somthin like this.....everything checked out good and well. turns out that i need a new ignition switch. Im trying to find a new one but there is only one Nissan dealership (local auto parts stores "cant order it") that deals with nissans older than 10 years. Thats a 45 min drive that ive yet to make....NAPA can order it for $175. Does this sound like a good deal??? its the entire unit with the wiring and evrything.thanks for the areas to start with Biggame. Anyone know where i could possibly order one offline for a lil cheaper?? thanx
Old 07-23-2009, 03:51 PM

Ignition switches are always expensive, that price doesnt sounds like a great deal, but its average.

Shop around some auto parts online stores, they are usually cheaper. Or check a local forum for someone parting out a car and get theirs.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:01 PM

well, ended up checking out Advance Auto and they had the actual ignition switch that screws into the ignition cylinder(where the key goes) for $30 bucks. Ordered it up at 12 aand by 430 it was at the store. As soon as i got home, i lined it up-and screwed it in. Re-hooked my battery and then she fired right up without a hitch or hiccup ( other than me forgettting to hook back the MAF and the car not revving past 2500-3k) Hooked that back up and everything is running perfectly. Thanx for the pointers and info guys. Until next time......thanx