NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Unique Swap Disapointment (KA vs SR) My story / theory

Old 01-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

i'm not convinced about the dependability or worth of toga oil pumps just yet . i've been trying to get word from someone with far more knowledge on the matter than myself but he seems to be unavailable at the time. so instead i've looked around on line and while it's not advisable to take what's posted on forums as the gospel truth, there are some note worthy post out there.

amongst the apparent reliable posts i found that the toga pumps consist of oem parts with specs identical to that of dealership oil pumps with the exception of the cover. in some but not all cases the inside of the cover had apparently been machined. this might be the reason they are considered high volume. the additional clearance was minor almost insignificant imo but differed from the oem/dealership pump none the less. i've heard of people do in this on their oem pumps with a die grinder and polishing it but i've always been leery of this method.

unfortunately this was the extent of the credible post found concerning toga oil pumps. there were however a number of indifferent and devastating stories that i didn't take much interest in since too often it's just hear say or a misrepresentation the facts. ultimately what parts you buy is up to you but i just though i should share what i found.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 PM

Thanks for that as well I plan on looking into it a little more.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

+1 for this thread

Still researching my N/A build after about a full year already and still improving it by little steps at a time.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
i'm not convinced about the dependability or worth of toga oil pumps just yet . i've been trying to get word from someone with far more knowledge on the matter than myself but he seems to be unavailable at the time. so instead i've looked around on line and while it's not advisable to take what's posted on forums as the gospel truth, there are some note worthy post out there.

amongst the apparent reliable posts i found that the toga pumps consist of oem parts with specs identical to that of dealership oil pumps with the exception of the cover. in some but not all cases the inside of the cover had apparently been machined. this might be the reason they are considered high volume. the additional clearance was minor almost insignificant imo but differed from the oem/dealership pump none the less. i've heard of people do in this on their oem pumps with a die grinder and polishing it but i've always been leery of this method.

unfortunately this was the extent of the credible post found concerning toga oil pumps. there were however a number of indifferent and devastating stories that i didn't take much interest in since too often it's just hear say or a misrepresentation the facts. ultimately what parts you buy is up to you but i just though i should share what i found.

In any case I have heard nothing but good things about the Toga pumps. Not just Nissan related, but toyota related as well. one of my friends installed the TOGA on his 2jzgte no problems with the pump and eventually sold the car still with no issues.

It is meant to be built to very similar to OEM spec. The concerns with the stock pump are infact that the oil passages are to thin and narrow. I wouldn't be surprised if the only consistent change would be the oil passages.
I'm ordering a TOGA myself and hopefully I can identify these issues and have some pics up within the next week or so. unless of coarse if Steve beats me to the punch.

Steve did you get the intrpoduction and chapter 1 to that book?
I'm sending off chapter 2 and 3 this sunday.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:09 PM

I am sure you will beat me to the pump, I am a little tight for money at the moment becaus of JCI coming up, but I would like to see pictures. I did recieve the first chapter. thank you very much for that. I like what I have read already.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
O.K well this is for sure what I am gathering from your build pics.

First off those are the 2.65 liter pistons from Brian/Crower.
The KA block is a siamesed block which means each sand cast portion for the cylinder chambers was individual molded together to make the KA24de block. A bore that becomes to large will crack the cast between the cylinder chambers. It would be nice if you could of atleast told the actual bore size of the cylinder walls.

Secondly your complaint about your rev and redline, is clearly your mistake with your build. Stock header is a no no, stock MAF is a no no, stock injectors is a no no. I could go on and on but those were the three identifiable parts to your build that would hold your engine from high reving.

Increasing your engine displacement means that you will need to increase the injector cc. You should just use the sr20det injectors with a tune or SAFC.
If the engine is only making power to 5500RPM your cut short on injector duty cycle /pulse width using the stock 270cc injectors, and your K value from the ecu.

Voltage fom the G60 MAF isn't helping you either, since you've increased your displacement your load value goes unchanged actually lowering your rev and redline. K value on the ecu has no where to go but to the right of the MAPS.

So in the process that you built this amazing internal KA you failed to upgrade the tune, injectors , MAF and headers so that you couldn't redline at about 8000RPM....

If you would like I have a book on ecu tuning. I have one for you that would explain where your problems are coming from. I can PDF the pages for you and send it via email. It's a good book with lots of answers.

Hey Vince, can you email the PDF to me as well? Got any other books?

Sorry, didnt mean to thread jack...
Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 PM

this is a preview of the book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ze_...esult#PPA37,M1

fyi
Old 02-05-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by NiSmO Knight
Hey Vince, can you email the PDF to me as well? Got any other books?

Sorry, didnt mean to thread jack...
I actually have a couple other books that I loaned out when I get them back I can get you a PDF of that as well.
I still owe steve some more PDFs, I've just been getting over back problems, and about 100 other stupid things.
Sure, I can send you the pdf also.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by S13 シルビア Steve
I agree with Donnie, This is not a KA vs SR argument forum, More Just what people think of a KA in a RHD s13. I would like your inputs and advice on doing the swap because I have only helped with a couple of SR swaps in a LHD 240 in the states. We all have our reasons for going KA or SR, I was just more or less puting a background to my new Idea for a swap. Thanks again Donnie, I did not try to make this a SR vs KA forum.
I GEt you Bro. do what you like its your car and youll definately get some ???? faces when you pop the hood with a us motor.. hope it goes well... LEts see some pics

Last edited by keepitngga1; 02-05-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
I actually have a couple other books that I loaned out when I get them back I can get you a PDF of that as well.
I still owe steve some more PDFs, I've just been getting over back problems, and about 100 other stupid things.
Sure, I can send you the pdf also.
Thanks much bro! Take care of yourself, we're both getting old now, cant do as much as we used to... I kid LOL
Old 03-15-2010, 12:25 PM

sell me that sr20 i still have a little ka24e

help a brother out
Old 03-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by justgotta240
sell me that sr20 i still have a little ka24e

help a brother out
or ya can look at the post dates matey, ya then be realizin this be a year old, ay?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 PM

i love your thinking outside of the box and going with the ka stroker!! especially with it in a rhd.. One idea for you tho uve already done the stroker end of it.. then the turbo end of it.. and the fuel system end of it.. how about the intake side of it?? i think if u want to go all out the add some itbs to the mix... it will def be challenging but looks like you def know your way around this motor so i got faith in you...

Good Luck

-Eric

ps sorry if you mentioned doing this already i got to excited when i started reading this and went right to the last page and wanted to chime in my advice / opinon
Old 05-23-2010, 04:23 PM

f..in awesome thread..xcessive makes a custom oil pan you can u sr aftermarket oil pans on the kade/kae motors